The Spring edition of ESTA’s Protocol is now live online!
This issue’s CITT/ICTS News column features the challenges of training and retaining technicians in Canada's North. (Read the article)
This issue’s highlights include:
• Jon Lewis shares what you need to know about LED video systems integration in an AVL package.
• Steve Terry describes how the move to LED and automated lighting systems has changed power distribution needs, and is bringing up new issues in connector selection and use.
• Spatial sound in theatres is a trending topic today—Chris Moore explains the technology.
• Mike Wood addresses “More About Measurement” in his Out of the Wood column.
• Guy Holt is back with a new series on generator operation: theory and practice.
• Ed Condit provides background on ANSI E1.11 DMX512A—still relevant after all these years!
• The Shadow, Light, and Truth column by Richard Cadena is an important read, exploring “The Deadline Act of Lifting Ground.”
• Industry rigger, Joe Allen, returns with a review of the New World Rigging Symposium, held in Louisville, KY, on the eve of USITT.
• ProSight Specialty’s Mike Kelly tackles safety at music festivals—in time for the outdoor event season—a must read article to protect your attendees, talent, crew, and business.
• Learn what you missed at the nonstop NAMM Show—Karl Ruling gives you an overview.
• Read the highlights of USITT’s Stage Expo in Louisville, KY.
• Eddie Raymond’s Take Away column entertains with “Whose Idea Was this, Anyway?”
• Bill Groener is back with his popular Soft Sell column in “Managing the Sales Process.” Great read for managers and top sales people as well.
• Angela Drainville invites everyone to attend the CITT/ICTS Rendez-vous in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory—where the arts are flourishing.
• The only female to hold all four ETCP certificates, Dawn Copeland, outlines her journey to earn this unique distinction in the ETCP News column.
• ESTA’s President Jules Lauve highlights visionary leader Fred Foster.
• Read about ESTA Member award winners at the NAMM Show.
• ESTA curated and provided four tracks of educational sessions at the NAMM Show—all offered free to registered NAMM attendees—learn what you missed in Anaheim!
• The Technical Standards Program has produced more than 50 ANSI-approved standards—with more in the pipeline! Read the update in TSP News from Karl Ruling.
• Production Equipment Rental Group News by Harry Box explains why Netflix is happy to participate in an open discussion at PERG’s recent General Membership Meeting—and everyone involved benefits.
• Follow the Behind the Scenes News column to learn about BTS initiatives, recent Pledge-a-Product and LRLR activities at the NAMM Show and USITT, and ways to support your industry charity.
• ESTA remembers Fred Foster for his deep commitment to the work of the Association and Behind the Scenes.
• Welcome new ESTA Members
And, much more!
We hope you enjoy your new Spring edition of Protocol and, as always, we would appreciate any feedback and suggestions you email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Like us on Facebook to receive ongoing updates in between issues.
Please let us know how we can assist you with the balance of your advertising plans for 2019—contact Beverly Inglesby at or Jackie Tien.
We appreciate your support of ESTA, ESTA’s initiatives, and our journal, Protocol.
Not an ESTA member? Are you interested in joining the community of entertainment technology professionals who produce and support Protocol, Technical Standards, and ETCP Certification? Find out more about ESTA at www.esta.org Membership in ESTA demonstrates that your company is dedicated to safety, good business practices, and making our industry stronger. Contact for more information.