This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Management
Reports to: Managing Director & Artistic Director
Direct Reports: Box Office Supervisor
FOH Staff at Sagebrush Theatre
Indirect Reports: Box Office Staff
Liaises with: Sagebrush Theatre TD
Venue Clients & members of their audiences
WCT Staff at all levels
Western Canada Theatre (Kamloops, BC) is seeking a dynamic individual to manage all aspects of client services, venue operations & planning for Kamloops’ premier performance space, the 700-seat Sagebrush Theatre, and WCT’s 150-seat studio, the Pavilion Theatre, as well as providing leadership to the Kamloops Live! Box Office and participating in facility project management. The Sagebrush is a fully equipped, multi-purpose facility used as a commercial roadhouse and community performance space, designed for music, theatre, and dance. It is jointly owned by the City of Kamloops and School District 73 and managed by Western Canada Theatre. The Pavilion Theatre building houses not only the performance and rehearsal space of the theatre, but also WCT’s offices and shops and the Kamloops Live! Box Office.
The VSD is responsible for all operations at the Sagebrush, and is part of WCT’s management team.
The VSD has comprehensive responsibility for:
- The VSD provides proactive & effective service to clients of the venues by:
o Being an effective communicator with clients & prospective clients with a proactive approach to problem solving;
o Creating & managing venue schedules & booking dates;
o The creation, negotiation, execution and management of contracts for venue rentals & box office services;
o Coordinating event requirements with clients and technical, box office, and finance departments;
o Ensuring safety protocols are in place, including public safety, food and beverage licenses, and requisite training for staff and volunteers;
o Ensuring the highest possible level of customer service is provided to clients and their patrons;
o Conducting of stakeholder engagement, to audit the services provided to our clients;
o Providing night-of-event leadership for commercial & other bookings;
Operations (FOH/Box Office)
- Ensuring theatre events run smoothly and efficiently;
- Managing & supervising front of house staff, box office staff and volunteers;
- The day-to-day operations of both the Sagebrush and Pavilion Theatres;
- The hiring, training, scheduling, management & evaluation of box office staff, FOH staff and volunteers;
- Developing an effective marketing plan for the Sagebrush Theatre, the Pavilion Theatre & the Kamloops Live! Box Office, in order to promote the effective and active use of these venues & services;
- Promoting the use of the Sagebrush Theatre, including actively pursuing and booking commercial performances and providing marketing support to rental clients;
- Financial management for Sagebrush FOH operations;
- Inventory purchasing, management and control for concessions;
- Leading the Venue Services team.
- Managing operations, maintenance & janitorial services at the Pavilion Theatre, including the supervision of contractors;
- Managing building security and safety plan;
Venue Planning & Support (capital, committee, staff hiring)
- The setting & management of the annual operating budget for the Sagebrush Theatre;
- Participating on the Sagebrush Theatre Management Committee, alongside the Managing Director;
- Supporting initiatives approved by the Sagebrush Management Committee; along with support to the Committee by creating agenda/minutes;
- Assisting with sourcing and completing funding applications to support programming and capital upgrades;
- Creating and managing a 5-year capital plan in conjunction with the venue’s management committee, the Venue TD and WCT’s Senior Management;
- Applying for liquor licenses as required;
Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
Post-secondary education in arts administration, events and tourism management, a related field, or equivalent professional experience
Minimum 5 years’ experience in one of the following areas: facilities, box office, client services, arts management – or related area, including working with both staff and volunteers
Strong written and verbal communication skills
Excellent interpersonal skills
Highly organized, strong team player with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with demanding deadlines
Experience in negotiating contracts
Ability to maintain budgets: both revenue and expenses
A background in community owned and operated institutions
An understanding and enthusiasm for the performing arts
Experience with ticketing software and Microsoft Office Suite an asset
Able to legally work in Canada
Salary range is $40-47k per annum, and will be commensurate with experience and education.
WCT is pleased to offer a generous benefits package, flexible work schedule, ticket benefits and more.
Kamloops is our home, and is a great place to live and work. We offer you the opportunity to thrive in a city that boasts a reasonable cost of living, gorgeous terrain, active lifestyle, and of course, the sunny weather of BC’s Southern Interior. For more information visit Kamloops.ca
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, résumé and references by
Thursday, July 12, 2018, at 5pm
Attention: Evan Klassen
Western Canada Theatre is committed to diversity in the workplace and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply. Due to the volume of submissions, we thank all who express interest in this position; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Salary: 40-47,000 per year
WCT is Kamloops leading professional theatre company, and manager of the Sagebrush Theatre, Pavilion Theatre & the Kamloops Live! Box Office.