This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Education
Hours of Employment: Based on a 35 hour work week
St. Michael’s College School is seeking a highly motivated, capable, and organized person to be the full-time, permanent Theatre Technical Director. This position will:
• Manage and operate internal events for the school as assigned and act as a planning and technical resource. Events include but aren’t limited to, School Musical, Drama, Lectures, School Assemblies in both the SMCS Centre for the Arts and other events based in the school.
•Mentor students in their roles as Student Technicians.
•Manage external clients for the Centre for the Arts in all technical and logistics planning capacities.
•Other duties as assigned.
a) To manage in‐house maintenance of the SMCS Centre for the Arts building, plant and equipment, liaising with all departments and the Theatre Manager to assess work required; compilation and distribution of work lists, prioritization of jobs and delegation of tasks to technicians, casual staff.
b) Adherence at all times to St. Michael’s College School Health and Safety at Work requirements, rules and regulations, so as to ensure a duty of care to colleagues and to others working at St. Michael’s College School, as well as to proper care of self.
c) Coordinating the staffing requirements of all internal and external bookings by ensuring the recruitment, training and roster of staff (paid and Student volunteer) in the positions of Technical Supervisor and Venue Technician:
- Devise and distribute all staffing and volunteer schedules for every performance or event scheduled whereby crew is required.
- Conduct initial Orientation and Induction training with all staff and volunteers.
- Maintain ongoing training with staff as required to ensure operational competency with theatre systems.
- In a mentoring capacity, working directly with students in the Stage Crew in stagecraft elements as required to deliver academic and extracurricular events and performances.
d) Supervising the Technicians and casual staff and lead by example by taking a pro‐active approach to work. This will be demonstrated by, but not limited to, a positive attitude, being punctual, and achieving an excellent standard of work.
e) Report and follow through on any malfunctions, repairs or safety concerns within the facility areas to the Theatre Manager and Senior Building Operator. Follow up with any work assigned.
f) Create and maintain a Technical Procedures manual for Technical staff and maintain operational procedures and manuals for the various technical departments (such as Audio / Lighting / Video / Rigging).
St. Michael’s College School Events:
a) Working with the Theatre Manager, oversee all aspects of internal event planning from conception, event planning, and execution.
b) Ensure all staff and volunteers are correctly trained in all procedures, and have all relevant qualifications/certification up to date.
c) Oversee the SMCSTV’s core filming responsibilities including mentoring student volunteers, scheduling, and arranging part-time occasional staff for events.
a) With the Theatre Manager, oversee all technical and logistical aspects of the renting process of rental of the St. Michael’s College School Centre for the Arts.
b) Communicate with renters with to collect technical information for the purpose of contract creation, technical paperwork, contract reconciliation and client relations.
c) Conduct tours to interested groups and external renters of relevant facilities.
d) Coordinate the booking of required staff and procurement of required resources to execute the client contracts.
What you bring to this role:
• Post-Secondary education in a field relevant to the position.
• Minimum of 2-3 years of experience in a similar role.
• Demonstrated track‐record for quality technical support of theatrical, concert, music, dance and lecture productions, and related events.
• Demonstrated track record of adherence to Health and Safety at Work regulations and procedures.
• Demonstrated ability to co‐operate, communicate, contribute and proactively work as a member of a technical team in a mix use environment.
• Working industry knowledge of standard tools and equipment, rigging techniques, counterweight systems, electrics rigging, focus and control, and sound rigging and control, entertainment video systems.
• An understanding of entertainment IT networking is considered an asset
• Working understanding of all aspects of technical production and direction at all stages of the creative process.
• Working knowledge of contracts and technical riders.
• Good knowledge and experience of maintaining and repairing equipment and general building maintenance.
• Proactive and positive attitude to problem solving.
• Ability to respond to varying workload and to manage tasks and time efficiently.
• Proven excellent track‐record of staff line management.
• Demonstrated computer skills including MS Office Suite, CAD (Vectorworks), Audio Editing Suites, Lightwrite.
• Must be comfortable working at heights, on ladders, and lifts.
Performance Competencies & Criteria
• Maintain a professional image.
• Efficient organization to ensure all tasks are completed in an efficient and timely manner
• Building strong relationships with staff, clients and patrons and fostering an enjoyable and harmonious environment.
• Responsive and considerate to internal and external client needs.
• Ethical consideration and a consistent display of integrity in all duties.
• An understanding and commitment to the delivery of a liberal arts Catholic education.
Salary: Salary is commensurate with experience. Remuneration includes a comprehensive benefit package and company defined contribution pension program.
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to Human Resources at St. Michael’s College School by email to indicating “Theatre Technical Director” in the subject line.
St. Michael’s College School was founded in 1852 by the Basilian Fathers, and stands as Ontario’s only independent Catholic school for young men. The school offers students in Grades 7-12 an enriched, Catholic, Liberal Arts education complemented by a number of diverse co-curricular programmes. As a community within the Catholic Church, St. Michael’s strives for excellence through a synthesis of culture and faith.
The motto of the Basilian Fathers and St. Michael’s College School is “Teach me Goodness, Discipline, and Knowledge” (Psalm 118). This recognizes that being a good and disciplined individual, in charge of your own actions, is as important as the knowledge acquired through formal education. The motto is reflected in our mission to educate the whole person.
While St. Michael’s strives to prepare its students for university, we are also fully committed to preparing them to be future Catholic leaders within their community.
Whatever the role at St. Michael’s, it is more than a job – it is joining a community of likeminded colleagues who embrace the school’s values, and deliver those values in everything that they do.