This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Management
Reporting to the General Manager, and working in tandem with the Facilities and Events Manager, the Technical Operations Manager is responsible for the execution and organization of all technical needs for events happening at Performance Works and The NEST. The Technical Operations Manager requires a solid knowledge and training in lighting and sound equipment in a theatre setting. This is not a position suited to an individual without varied practical experience, managerial experience, and an aptitude for the performing arts and live events.
This position’s primary accountability is the hiring, training, scheduling, and management of technical employees and their activities at Performance Works and The NEST. As such, a positive, professional, collaborative, and team-oriented attitude is required. In order to execute their managerial responsibilities, the Technical Operations Manager must be able to asses a renter’s preliminary technical rental documents, including but not limited to their proposed: load-in/out and tech week schedules; lighting documents; ground plans; sound documents; and/or video documents in the lead up to the rental period. When not executing their managerial responsibilities, the Technical Operations Manager supports the maintenance and provision of technical services at Performance Works, and The NEST, as required. This support does limit or prevent the ability of the Technical Operations Manager from exercising their regular supervisory duties. The Technical Operations Manager will be an ambassador for the Society when dealing with rentals, renter staff and volunteers.
The preferred starting date for this position is Monday, March 9, 2020, but the person hired must be able to start no later than Monday, March 16, 2020.
This is a new position for the GITD, and will be assessed from time to time by the General Manager to ensure the duties & responsibilities align with actual and practical needs. This position will divide their time between administrative/general venue duties, and working at events happening at Performance Works and The NEST, focusing their energies on the former.
• Hiring, training, scheduling, and management of technical staff for Performance Works and The NEST
• Asses the renter’s preliminary technical rental documents, including but not limited load-in/out and tech week schedules; lighting documents; ground plans; sound documents; and/or video documents in the lead up to the rental period
• Aid the venue managers of Performance Works and The NEST with client staffing cost estimates based on approved schedules, and liaise with clients regarding the same
• In consultation with the venue managers of Performance Works and The NEST, prepare internal documentation for each rental detailing technical and FOH plans and requirements
• Participate in the development of venue staff training documentation and coordination of staff training, in consultation with senior GITD staff
• Participate in establishing, maintaining, and enforcing safety protocol for the venues, in consultation with senior GITD staff
• Monitoring the condition of Performance Works and The NEST equipment and amenities to ensure safety, cleanliness, functionality, and to determine maintenance needs, reporting deficiencies to the General Manager
• Creating and maintaining up-to-date equipment lists and other technical documentation for Performance Works and The NEST
• Facilitate client’s event meetings as required
• Attend venue tours of Performance Works and The NEST as required
• Liaise with Granville Island maintenance, operations, and security as required
• Coordinate activities with/for the Lead Technician and/or Associate Technicians scheduled for same-rentals when on-shift
• Ensuring the safety of crew, volunteers, clients, audiences, and fellow staff to the best of your ability
• Support the maintenance and provision of technical services at Performance Works and The NEST, as required
• Supervise and assist with seating, set and stage installations
• Supervise crew
• Assist with the operation of video, lighting and sound systems for theatre, dance, music, and other productions/private events as required
• Provision of technician services for rentals/events happening at Performance Works, and The NEST as required
• Other duties as required
• 5+ years of experience as a venue technician
• Demonstrated managerial experience
• Understanding of basic theatre operations
• Ability to lift 50 pounds
• A working knowledge of grids, rigging, audio systems, and lighting systems is required
• Proficient in programming and operation of computer lighting boards (ETC Ion and Element) and all components of the lighting system
• Proficient in sound mixing of up to 15 performers/instruments for performances with the understanding that a sound designer will lead initial setup and collaborate on programming
• Proficient in Qlab (editing, mixing, programming)
• Proficient in MacOS and Microsoft OS
• Proficient in video projector operation and focus using the house projector
• Able to read and understand lighting designer plots and associated paperwork
• Able to work heights, including on A-Frame ladder and aerial lift
• Strong time management skills and the ability to multi-task with little supervision
• Ability to troubleshoot, problem-solve, and work calmly under pressure
• Excellent client and artist communication skills, both written and verbal
All applicants must be holding a valid:
• Valid OFA Level 1 certificate (at minimum)
• Live Performance Electrical Certification
• WHIMIS certificate
• Aerial lift certificate
• Fall Protection Training certificate
All applicants holding the following will be shown preference:
• University or Technical Collect Degree/Certification in Technical Theatre, Theatrical Design, or equivalent
• 2+ year of managerial experience in a theatre or venue
You will be asked to provided copies of your certifications should you be selected for an interview. Please be prepared to share them upon request.
The anticipated hours are 32 to 40 hours per week, subject to the activities happening at Performance Works and The NEST. The flexibility to work a variable schedule, that includes evenings and/or weekends, will be necessary for this position.
Salary: $25.00 to $27.00 per hour, commensurate with experience.
Please send your resume with a cover letter to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
The Granville Island Theatre District Society (GITD) is a non-profit society founded by Boca del Lupo and Carousel Theatre for Young People with the vision to create a robust, lively theatre district on Granville Island. Our goal is to embrace innovation in the arts by creating a more dynamic, risk-enabling and resilient cultural community as defined in Granville Island’s 2040 plan. Our vision is to create unique and understandable identities for each of the spaces. Performance Works as a contemporary performance venue equipped with state-of-the-art gear, the Waterfront Theatre as accessible for families, and The NEST as an incubator for new and emergent work.
The five guiding principles of the GITD are:
1. Connecting audiences and artists through facilitating interchange between audiences and artists to create a more fulsome experience where both audiences feel “at home” in the theatre, and artists are empowered to create relevant work;
2. Nurturing collaboration between artistic companies that ensures heightened access to resources, bolsters creativity, and creates a sense of shared purpose. We succeed together;
3. Encouraging artistic integrity by welcoming artistic practice that is innovative, relevant, and diligent;
4. Cultivating creative opportunities for production, development of work, and development of practice that enhances the local industry and encourages artistic excellence; and
5. Prioritizing place-making by putting the community at the centre of our work and making the user experience our priority. We will strive to enhance the community-orientation, adaptability, responsiveness, and inclusiveness of all GITD-managed facilities.