This is a Permanent, Part-time position.Category: Technical
The primary responsibility of the Technical Director is to manage the operations of the production/presentation studio, which is used for performances, production residencies, special events, filming and other kinds of activity, taking on a full production management role where required; and to provide additional technical support where needed throughout the facility. The TD will work closely with artists, companies and other prospective renters to assess the scope of their project, and develop production schematics and detailed cost estimates ; and will manage contracts and budgets, track bills and payments, and ensure accurate and timely reporting and reconciliation of rentals to contribute the facility’s overall revenue goals. The TD is responsible for the safe, efficient, professional operation of all technical equipment, house sound, lighting, rigging etc, and the development and supervision of technical/production crews. The TD must maintain equipment inventories and tech riders, while maintaining a clean and safe work environment; act as liaison to the IT and other consultants who maintain the technical support systems within the building; and also provide technical support when needed elsewhere in the facility, including the maintenance of audio visual equipment.
The TD will work closely with a small, committed staff team which is passionate about the work of the organization and the art of dance, and will report directly to the Executive Director of The Dance Centre.
The ideal candidate will have:
• A minimum of 3 years’ professional experience in a theatre and live performing environment, and preferably a degree in Technical Theatre, or equivalent experience.
• Experience of operating a production facility, supervising crew and production teams.
• Knowledge of sound design and reinforcement, theatrical rigging, principles of stage lighting, lighting instruments, control consoles and Front of House management.
• Excellent customer service skills to provide superior service to a multitalented, diverse community of performing artists.
• Effective budgeting, administration, communication, and time-management skills.
• Awareness of the importance of implementing industry safety standards and the ability to read and draft designs and plans.
• Proficiency in PC and Apple environments, and Word, Excel, Outlook and Access.
• Awareness of the specific requirements of dance in a performance context.
• Familiarity working with AutoCAD is an asset.
The successful candidate will be self-motivated, with leadership and customer service skills that will be used daily in interaction with staff, artists, patrons, suppliers and a broad range of clients of diverse cultural and artistic backgrounds. A willingness to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends is required. This position also involves heavy lifting and working at heights from time to time.
This is a contract position starting at a minimum of 30 hours per week, with the potential to increase to full time. Remuneration is based on experience. Position available immediately.
Please send a cover letter and resume to: Executive Director, The Dance Centre, Scotiabank Dance Centre, 677 Davie St, Vancouver BC V6B 2G6
Deadline for applications: February 28, 2013
No phone calls or emails please. We thank all who express interest, but only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
Salary: Renumeration is based on experience.
The Dance Centre
1 604 606-6416
Scotiabank Dance Centre is Canada’s flagship dance facility, a 32,000 sq ft building with 6 dance studios and a fully-equipped, 154-seat black box production/presentation studio. The facility is operated by The Dance Centre, a non-profit resource organization which spearheaded its development, and has become a hub of activity for dance creation, production and presentation. Scotiabank Dance Centre is busy year-round with the rental activity of a broad range of clients and The Dance Centre’s own extensive programming, which features artists from BC, across Canada and around the world. This position is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious, creative and proactive individual who would relish being at the heart of Vancouver’s vibrant dance scene.