This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Technical
Province: Stratford, Ontario
Position: Technical Director – Avon Theatre
Deadline: August 27, 2021
Posted: July 30, 2021
Job Description / Duties
The Avon Theatre is located in downtown Stratford and contains the Avon & Studio stages, rehearsal halls and public areas. Reporting to the Director of Production, as part of the Production Management Team.
• Implement technical aspects for productions, events and activity within the Avon Theatre
• Evaluating designs and proposals for safety and financial feasibility
• Evaluating designs and proposals regarding changeover and relationship within the repertory season
• Ensuring that productions fall within established budgets & schedules
• Preparation of season cash flow and regular forecasting of financial accounts
• Planning and scheduling of onstage technical events
• Management of unionized department heads
• Advising production management on all technical aspects of productions, tours, schedules, technical facilities and equipment of the Avon Theatre
• Ensuring adherence to the Health & Safety policies of the Stratford Festival
Qualifications / Required Skills
• Minimum five years’ experience as a Technical Director in a unionized environment
• Advanced knowledge in Vectorworks or AutoCAD and Microsoft Office
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Self-motivated and flexible
• Excellent team player
• Collaborative and positive attitude
Preference will be given to applicants with experience creating new productions for a proscenium theatre, working in a repertory environment and touring. A degree in Theatre Production is considered an asset.
This full time position is located in Stratford, Ontario and will begin October 2021. This position will require the successful candidate to embrace a flexible work schedule, working on-site and remote when required.
Job Type: Full time
The Festival is working diligently toward a safe and healthy workplace for everyone. We welcome applicants of every identity, and encourage applications from Indigenous, Black, People of Colour, Deaf, disabled and 2SLGBTQ+ folks. We are committed to accommodating people with disabilities throughout the recruitment process and beyond. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know.
Salary: Annual Salary: $85,000-$90,000
If you have the qualifications to fill this role and feel you could make a meaningful contribution to the Stratford Festival, please apply by submitting your resume and cover letter in a single PDF by 5:00pm on August 27, 2021 to:
Subject: Technical Director – Avon Theatre
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Based in Stratford, Ontario, the Stratford Festival is one of the world’s foremost repertory theatre companies. It operates year round, presenting a season of about a dozen plays each year between the months of April and November, a rich stream of digital content and hundreds of Forum events, designed to deepen understanding of the plays. For every person a theatregoer sees on our stages, we have seven people working behind the scenes, some of the world’s most dedicated and experienced arts workers. At this time we are undergoing a culture shift to support anti-racism and anti-oppression and ensure a respectful, equitable and inclusive environment in which all staff, artists and audience members can feel a true sense of belonging.
If you would like to be part of this change and contribute your own remarkable talents to North America’s largest not-for-profit theatre, we’d like to hear from you. We are currently welcoming applications.