This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Technical
The Technical Director at STREB is a critical leader in the Company responsible for supporting all areas of technical direction, daily rehearsal and programming support, and facilities management as assigned by the Artistic and Co-Executive Directors. The Technical Director will be the leader and head of technical operations with oversight over all departments of production. In addition to advising on technical strategies, schedules, and budgets for all productions and events, s/he will play a key role in bridging the STREB Extreme Action Company’s technical, education, & daily programming needs.
- Production logistics, rehearsal facilitation, & artistic vision support.
- Touring direction and production advancement in conjunction with STREB Production Manager.
- Performer and equipment safety protocols development & management.
- Lead out and direct the technical design, drafting, engineering and fabrication of Company prototype
and finished equipment.
- Recruit, hire, and supervise production staff, overhire carpenters & riggers, show crew, and front of
- Strategize on budget and technical/facilities needs in coordination with general management.
- Support SLAM facilities and IT needs in conjunction with support personnel.
- Special event and internal programs management &implementation
- Professional experience in Technical Direction required with a preference for candidates with demonstrable experience in rigging for performance, prototype creation, and production management.
- Exceptional leadership & management skills, ability to navigate challenging situations diplomatically.
- Experience producing and supporting work in non-traditional theatrical environments.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and ability to communicate clearly.
- Strong working knowledge of the operations of rigging, carpentry, lighting, audio, & video
- Superior attention to detail & precision, time-management, and creative problem-solving.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD and/or Vectorworks.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Send cover letter and resume to . No phone calls please.
STREB founded in 1979 and led by Artistic Director Elizabeth Streb has performed in theaters large and small and served as artists-in- residence at the world’s top art museums. At the same time, STREB has taken its work into the streets and sports stadiums: on the streets of Montreal for Cirque du Soleil's 20th anniversary; at Grand Central Station; in front of the Cyclone at Coney Island; under the Brooklyn Bridge; at Madison Square Garden and the Minneapolis Metrodome; on the mall outside the Smithsonian Institution and descending the façade of Bergdorf Goodman. The company’s extensive touring calendar has included presentations at the Lincoln Center Festival, Wolf Trap, Walker Art Center, Los Angeles MOCA, Wexner Center, Spoleto USA, River-to- River Festival, Barbican Center, Theatre de la Ville, at both the Brisbane and Melbourne Festivals, in Chile, Singapore and Taiwan, at the Just for Laughs Festival in Montreal, the Pan Am Games Arts Festival in Toronto and the Summer Nostos Festival in Athens, Greece. STREB has received major commissions from Lincoln Center, the Park Avenue Armory, the Whitney Museum of Art, London 2012 - the Cultural Olympiad of the Summer Games and the Fall for Dance Festival at City Center.
In January 2003, STREB moved into a vacant former loading facility and transformed 51 North 1st Street into the STREB LAB FOR ACTION MECHANICS (SLAM), a multipurpose space that accommodates a 150-seat performance space, the company’s school, rehearsal facilities, trapeze rig and administrative offices.