This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Technical
The Technical Director reports directly to the General Manager and works in conjunction with the administrative and technical staff. As a senior member of the organisation, the Technical Director works with a great deal of independence, using their experience and judgement to ensure the smooth and safe presentation of all events happening at the Jeanne & Peter Lougheed Performing Arts Centre.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Coordinate all production requirements for the proper execution for all events happening with in the venue.
• Provide technical expertise and consultation for all events happening at the Lougheed Centre. This is done through event meetings, providing rental estimates, sourcing external rentals and materials, etc.
• Schedule the 2 full time technical staff and other casual technical staff to ensure all events are staffed appropriately.
• Set technical procedures and standards for operation of the facility.
• Run all major setup/strikes for large scale events requiring the technical director.
• Available during performances to problem solve and as a resource for technical emergencies which may arise.
• Occasional physical work is required, including but not limited to: lifting heavy weights, awkward positions, climbing ladders, Aerial lifts and working at heights.
• Occasionally run some events as scheduling and requirements dictate.
• Some work will include evenings and weekends. The majority of work will be conducted during administrative hours between 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
• Adhere to any budgets that are set for either specific events or annual budgets.
• Coordinate facility work with the University of Alberta and theatre staff.
• Plan cost, budget & draft small event or facility construction projects as required.
• Plan and coordinate annual maintenance of the facility.
• Maintain accurate and up to date venue technical specifications and equipment lists.
• Maintain a 25 year capital replacement program for the technical aspects of the venue.
• Plan and teach technical volunteer workshops to the Lougheed Centre technical volunteer company.
• Work with the volunteer coordinator to cultivate and maintain a healthy technical volunteer company.
• Stay informed and up to date with advancements in production technology, equipment and safety related to the venues operation.
• Technical theatre degree or diploma with an accredited institution.
• Minimum 5 years professional experience as a head technician or technical director.
• Management experience along with experience leading a variety of crew sizes.
• Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
• Knowledgeable in stage craft and scenic construction.
• Ability to read and produce technical drawings. Moderate experience in computer aided drafting, knowledgeable with AutoCAD an asset.
• Moderate knowledge of Microsoft Office.
• Moderate experience as a lighting technician and lighting console operator. Experience with ETC EOS family console software an asset.
• Moderate experience with mixing live sound on a digital sound console. Experience with a Digico SD series consoles an asset.
• Experience with SFX sound playback software an asset.
• Moderate experience with stage carpentry and stage rigging in a fly house.
• Fall arrest, Aerial lift training, pyrotechnics Certification, computer/networking background are assets
• Working knowledge of current safety standards and the implementation of same.
• Superb organizational skills with the ability to work on multiple projects with tight timelines.
• An ability to work independently while also being a part of a small and dynamic team.
• A collaborative spirit to work with a variety of artists, and facility renters, both professional and community.
• Hold a Class 5 drivers licence.
• Ability to be Flexible with a positive attitude.
Terms of Employment
• Full Time – Permanent
• Salaried position - $53,000 - $60,000 per year, commensurate with experience
• 4 weeks paid vacation
• Comprehensive benefits package
• Pension – RRSP matching program
• Desired start date- August 1st
Please send resume and cover letter to
Close Date: 29-May-2017
Open till filled: Yes
Salary: Salaried position - $53,000 - $60,000 per year, commensurate with experience
4501 50th Street
The Camrose Performing Arts Centre Management Council is a not for-profit arts organization that operates the Jeanne & Peter Lougheed Performing Arts Centre. Located in Camrose, Alberta on the University of Alberta, Augustana Campus, approximately 80 km south of Edmonton.
The Lougheed Centre is home to 2 venues, The Cargill Theatre, a 584 seat automated fly house that features an all LED stage lighting system and world class sound system, and the Mayer Family Community Hall, a flexible multi-use venue.
The Lougheed Centre is a road house for touring productions/concerts and local rentals of approximately 200 event days a year. The Lougheed Centre also presents about 30 presentations as part of each season. The presentation season is a mix of touring concerts, dance, theatre & musicals.