This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Technical
The Technical Director’s primary role is to act as a supervisor of technical theatre workers, with a secondary focus on general familiarity with technical theatre.
The TD should be proactive; someone who can observe carefully, actively listen to input, think critically, take decisive action, provide clear direction, delegate effectively and follow through consistently. They should also be a leader; earning the confidence of their co-workers and inspiring their subordinates to be engaged, comported and effective at work. The TD must be able to understand the processes of different collaborators, while ensuring work is done in alignment with company schedules, budgets, values, and standards. This individual’s initiative, inter-personnel skills, critical thinking and ability to earn the trust of others is critical in ensuring the entire team is successful and supported throughout the process on a pro-active basis.
The TD reports to the Production Manager and provides them with logistical support and constructive input. The TD collaborates with all personnel on an event to ensure efficient and effective technical operations of the Gateway productions, presentations and venue partnerships. The TD also works with rental clients and internal departments to determine their event needs and ensure timely integration of technical personnel and equipment for those events.
The position is full time or flexible. Start date is Fall 2019/ asap.
• Supervision, leadership and professional development of stage and construction crew.
• Anticipation of logistical issues and proactive analysis provided to the Production Manager and Associate Manager.
• Regular and prompt communication with collaborators.
• Cost estimation of preliminary and completed designs to create work schedules, equipment lists and supply lists.
• Coordinate and facilitate the work of artists such as stage crew, construction crew, designers, directors, choreographers and stage managers as it relates to technical operations during rehearsals, setup, technical rehearsals, strike and restore.
• Present on stage during setup, technical rehearsal and strike of events. Available between opening and closing performances to troubleshoot issues with stage crew and stage management.
• Consultation and advice regarding maintenance of stage equipment, supplies, operations and capital expenditures.
• Coordinate acquisition and transportation of equipment and supplies.
• Advance logistical needs for events.
• Approving time sheets, projection of costs and tracking expenditures related to technical facilities, equipment, supplies and personnel.
• Maintain and update building technical drawings and specifications, including Vectorworks drawings and equipment inventories.
Candidates will be short listed on the basis of the following qualifications:
• Experience leading stage hands of all skill and experience levels including;
o Modeling, teaching and performing checks for understanding of preferred behaviours and practices.
o Resolving conflicts and disputes
o Quality control and error correction
• Customer service experience as a primary point of contact for rental clientele.
• Post – secondary education in Stagecraft
• Experience as a Technical Director in a rentals venue and/or at a theatre company
• Experience as a skilled Stagehand - e.g.; craftsperson, technician, crew chief or department head.
• Competency in creative problem solving technical and artistic challenges.
• Competency with spreadsheets.
• Experience managing a budget
• Legally entitled to work in Canada
Assets are not required to be eligible for the position; however any of the assets below might be considered when prioritizing a short listed candidate over a similarly qualified candidate.
• Additional experience complementary to being a Technical Director, such as but not limited to; event management, Film, TV, or admin work at an arts organization.
• Experience implementing, integrating and coordinating construction of large theatrical scenic designs.
• Driver’s Licence – min CL5 to drive company over height cargo van.
• Computer Construction Drawing/drafting experience and/or portfolios of same
• Familiarity with scenic construction techniques and cost estimation.
• Experience working in Excel spreadsheets using formulas
• Familiarity supervising & leading workers under IATSE, VMA and/or CAEA terms and conditions.
• Professional training in customer service, leadership or administration.
How to Apply:
Email a single PDF file containing your entire application to Josef Chung, Production Manager,
Any CVs, cover letters, resumes and reference materials should be inside the file, but the file may contain web links to any portfolios.
Questions? Email or call 604 270-6500
Note: The Gateway is using a dynamic recruiting process, offering multiple postings for one Production Department position. The final position will be adapted to the candidate selected.
We appreciate every expression of interest but can only commit to contacting candidates that are selected for interview. Please advise us if you need accessibility accommodated (including alternate formats of materials or accessible meeting space) to participate in this process.
Salary: $24-30/hr A full time engagement would include shared-cost extended benefits, including pension.
Josef Chung, Production Manager
Gateway Theatre enriches the quality of life in Richmond and surrounding communities by creating outstanding professional theatre and serving as a dynamic hub for the performing arts. Incorporated in 1982, Gateway has grown into one of the largest professional theatre companies in the Lower Mainland. We serve the community through professional live theatre productions, theatre education for youth, and community venue rentals. The venue houses a 540-seat proscenium theatre, an 85-seat black box theatre, a rehearsal studio, and administration space.