This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Production
Province: Toronto, Ontario
Position: Technical Director
Deadline: July 25, 2019
Posted: July 2, 2019
Job Description / Duties
The Technical Director (TD) is a member of the Production Department and reports to the Director of Production. The TD is responsible for the technical elements, schedules, and budgets of Canadian Stage’s productions and presentations and related activities. The TD supervises the work of the Assistant Technical Director, and the unionized technical crew.
• Reports to the Director of Production
• Other members of the Production Department
• Other Canadian Stage departments
• The creative and production teams of productions and presentations
• External organizations such as Berkeley Street Partners, renters, suppliers, etc.
• Oversees completion of all technical elements of productions to Canadian Stage’s and designer’s satisfaction.
• In conjunction with the Director of Production, works with designers, directors and Production department staff to ensure that all productions are realized to the highest artistic standard, within the restraints of schedules and budget.
• Manages staff in all technical areas and venues.
• Oversees the work of outside contractors, shops, and suppliers.
• Manages budgets for technical areas in consultation with the Director of Production.
• Manages scenic bid process.
• In conjunction with Director of Production, develops season technical schedule.
• Communicates with designers, directors, and stage management as necessary for troubleshooting and production continuity.
• Acts as a liaison with stage management for production notes, and for the smooth transition of set from shops to technical rehearsal.
• Analyses and fulfills technical riders for shows presented by Canadian Stage.
• Supervise the successful and timely load in and out of productions and presentations at Canadian Stage’s venues.
• Creates and maintains technical documentation, CAD drawings, and other records as necessary for each production or presentation.
• Ensures compliance with Occupational Health and Safety regulations within areas under the supervision of the Production Department.
• Maintains a production quality of the highest standard.
• Evening and weekend work is required for this position.
• Liaise and work with the Rental and Partner Companies to fulfill their technical needs.
• Create and modify CAD drawings.
• Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of Production.
Qualifications / Required Skills
• Minimum of eight years professional experience as a Technical Director.
• Minimum of three years professional experience supervising in a unionized stage environment.
• Knowledge of structural and mechanical construction for the stage, both materials and techniques, including welding, rigging and painting.
• Knowledge of hydraulics, pneumatics, and electrical systems.
• Thorough knowledge of lighting, sound, and video.
• Knowledge of QLAB.
• Working knowledge of current safety standards and the implementation of same.
• Product, material, pricing, and logistics research skills.
• Experience fulfilling technical and touring riders and/or touring of productions.
• Experience with a variety of types of live performance including theatre, dance, and music.
• Ability to read and produce technical drawings and schematics.
• Knowledge and practical experience using AutoCAD.
• Knowledge and practical experience using Microsoft Office.
• Strong personnel, scheduling, and budgetary management skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent organizational skills with the ability to work on multiple projects with tight deadlines and a positive attitude while working under pressure.
• Strong interpersonal skills, integrity, high energy, creativity, a collaborative spirit, and the cultural sensitivity needed to work effectively in a diverse environment of artists, producers, creative, and management teams.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
• Full-time, year-round
• Competitive salary
• Excellent benefit package
Submit a cover letter and resume by email to Elissa Horscroft, Director of Production at . Please indicate Application for Technical Director in the subject field.
We are grateful to all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Director of Production
Founded in 1987, Canadian Stage is one of the country’s leading not-for-profit contemporary performing arts organizations. The company produces, presents, commissions, and collaborates with multiple partners on cross-disciplinary work with a focus on performance styles that integrate theatre, dance, film, visual arts and more. Sharing innovative and vibrant performance work from Canada and around the world, the company stages an annual season at three Toronto venues (The Bluma Appel Theatre at TOLive; The Berkeley Street Theatre; and the High Park Amphitheatre), in addition to running a series of artist training through our MFA in Theatre Stage Direction in collaboration with York University, RBC Emerging Artist Program, and TD Programs, Canadian Stage has established a distinct place within the national cultural landscape. Operating in the culturally vibrant downtown east end of Toronto, Canadian Stage is a home for new, challenging dynamic art forms, as well as an incubator and exporter of leading edge contemporary and multidisciplinary activity. For more information, visit www.canadianstage.com