This is a Temporary, Full-time position.Category: Technical
The Technical Director ensures all technical aspects of the production work smoothly and safely. Much of this is done by liaising between the artistic and technical departments. The Technical Director creates working construction drawings that translate a designer's idea into workable plans for the build. He coordinates schedules so the sound, set and other departments have the time they need to set up their work onstage. The Technical Director also coordinates with the director and stage manager to ensure fulfillment of the director's vision and actor safety. Rigging -- the design and operation of safe hoisting and/or flying is also the Technical Director'ds responsibility.
- Reports directly to the Executive Director
- Member of the Production Team
- Analyzes script for all technical elements
- Oversees timely completion of all technical elements of a production to the satisfaction of the design team and of the Canadian Badlands Passion Play Society
- Manages staff in all technical areas
- Manages budgets for all technical areas in consultation with Department Heads
- May hire crew in consultation with the Executive Director and/or Creative Team
- Communicates with designers, directors and stage management as necessary for troubleshooting and production continuity
- Acts as a liaison with stage management for production notes, and for the smooth transition of props / scenery from the shop to rehearsal
- Maintains a production quality of the highest standard
- Setting up and stocking the set workshop within budgetary constraints and overseeing the use of tools, equipment, and cleanliness of the shop
- Coordinating all repairs and maintenance of the set and technical equipment during rehearsals and run of the show
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
- Minimum of five years’ professional experience in Technical Theatre.
- Thorough knowledge of structural and mechanical construction for the stage, both materials and techniques, including welding, carpentry, rigging and painting.
- Product, material, pricing and logistics research skills.
- Ability to read and produce blueprints.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Thorough knowledge of drafting, hydraulics, pneumatics, and electrical systems.
- Strong personnel, scheduling and budgetary management skills.
- Moderate to thorough knowledge of sound.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Working knowledge of current safety standards in the theatre, and the implementation of same.
- The ability to produce superior work with established production staff.
- Superb organizational skills with the ability to work on multiple projects with tight deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills, integrity, high energy, humour, creativity, a collaborative spirit, and the cultural sensitivity needed to work effectively in a diverse environment of artists, producers, creative and management teams.
- A passion for the performing arts and the desire to be part of a vibrant Canadian theatrical experience.
Salary: Commensurate with experience and abilities
This is a contract position that is full time (5 day weeks), on site in Drumheller, AB, from early May through late July.
Please submit resumes to no later than February 24th, 2017. If you have questions please do not hesitate to contact the email listed above.
Going into its 24th Season, The Canadian Badlands Passion Play is one Canada’s largest outdoor theatrical events. The company is a unique combination of primarily volunteer performers with professional mentors and crew. The company mandate is to annually depict the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ in dramatic form. It is performed on Canada’s largest outdoor stage, built into the hills of the Drumheller badlands in front of a 2700 seat outdoor amphitheatre.