This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Technical
Province: Maple Ridge, British Columbia
Position: Production Manager/Technical Director
Deadline: May 3, 2019
Posted: April 12, 2019
Job Description / Duties
The Production Manager/Technical Director is a member of the Senior Management team, joining a dynamic, energetic and creative professional team, with the responsibility of managing all technical aspects of production and performance at the ACT Arts Centre for approximately 250 events annually. This includes lighting, sound, carpentry, rigging, operation of consoles, single purchase line sets, etc. The Production Manager/Technical Director provides effective leadership for PT technical staff and maintains effective working relationships with all administrative staff. He/she is also responsible for maintaining and operating all theatre facilities and equipment in accordance with safety standards and legal regulations.
He/she coordinates with rental and presented clients to ascertain and fulfill the technical needs of all shows. The Production Manager/Technical Director will provide excellent and professional customer service to a varied field of renters/clients and artists and must be able to work in a fast-paced environment including evenings and weekends. Staff support will be provided by a senior technician who can assist with scheduling and supervising crew, processing paperwork, and overseeing event execution.
• Advance all technical needs for performances and theatre events at the ACT Arts Centre
• Create & manage the technical expenses, crew, and theatre supplies budgets
• Recruit, train, schedule and manage all casual crew for events and maintain an on call list of casual technicians, including creating and monitoring budgets, approving casual crew timesheets for directly supervised shifts and any performance paperwork as required in a timely manner
• Prepare labor, material, and equipment estimates and actual figures for event settlements including approved timesheets for department personnel
• Maintain and make recommendations for replacement and improvements of all equipment in the theatres, arranging for regular maintenance work, supplies. Liaise with the City of Maple Ridge for equipment replacement as required.
• Ensure safety of patrons, performers, and theatre equipment pre-event, post-event, including load-in and load out, and emergency management procedures.
• Supervise and monitor all activities in areas accessible to user groups to ensure safe and orderly behavior and procedures as per WCB and WHMIS regulations
• Participate on Joint OH&S committee
• Adhere to the best practices possible of safe work procedures and ethics
• Perform ongoing maintenance as directed or required in the theatre facilities
• Execute thorough building checks and lockups as scheduled.
• Maintain a clean and orderly workplace and backstage areas.
• In conjunction with the Facility Manager, assist with the development of a capital replacement plan and budget for major technical equipment in the theatre, including service requirements, setting priorities, cost estimates, and related budgeting and the various timelines for replacement
• Other duties as required by the Executive Director
Qualifications / Required Skills
• Must be a graduate of a technical training program with a minimum of 5 years of experience or equivalent training and experience, working in live performance or event production
• Proven ability to effectively manage and provide direction to technical staff
• Proficiency with computer software programs; Auto CAD/Vectorworks and Microsoft Office
• Demonstrated abilities in planning, organizing and coordinating diverse performing arts and other related activities or events
• Must be able to work with diverse groups under tight deadlines, at odd hours, and with the ability to work within the budget, policies, regulations and contractual obligations established by Management and the Board of Directors and enforce these policies, regulations and contracts with fairness, impartiality and good judgment
• The individual should have a high level of computer literacy and be willing to participate in ongoing professional development and education
• Due to the nature of the business the individual will work a flexible work week including evenings and weekends
• Extensive experience in road house operations with a marked interest in workplace safety
• Solid working knowledge of all appropriate technical systems including knowledge of PC, windows based, network environment including: MS Excel, MS Word, and PowerPoint. Knowledge and abilities in CAD is an asset
• Ability to act as a resource for our users is essential on technical and artistic matters
• Ability to successfully operate in a fast paced flexible environment
Required Licenses, Certificates and Registrations:
• Occupational First Aid Level 1 - WCB
• Ariel Platform/Scissor Lift Ticket
• Fall Arrest Ticket
• Preference will be given to persons holding additional certificates for one or all of the following: BC FE (full entertainment) qualification, Non-Restricted Firearms Possession and Acquisition License, LE or FE Certificate, 1st Aid, Pyrotechnician
• Criminal record check with vulnerable sector
Salary: $55,000 – 60,000 annually based on skills and experience, plus extended health benefits
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Human Resources via email at
The ACT Arts Centre (The ACT), located in the community of Maple Ridge and part of the Greater Vancouver Regional District (GVRD), is the leading provider of engaging, vibrant and excellent Arts Programs, Gallery Exhibitions and Performing Arts Presentations for the growing communities of the region. Opened in 2003, the 486-seat theatre, studio theatre and instruction studios are home to many cultural and community events, delivering an impressive array of diverse arts and cultural programming and activities to over 80,000 patrons annually.