This is a Temporary, Full-time position.Category: Production
Tarragon Theatre is seeking to cover a maternity leave for the Head of Wardrobe for the 2018/2019 season. This position requires a self-motivated individual to exercise sound judgment, to communicate with other departments, and to focus on costume construction, purchasing, alteration and maintenance. The position requires managing relationships and balancing responsibilities and time in a manner that is best for the company.
• Responsible for the construction, sourcing, purchasing, alterations and maintenance of costumes for all Mainspace and Extraspace productions
• Attend design meetings as necessary
• Attend weekly production meetings and weekly production department meetings
• Interpret wardrobe designs and work with designers to create appropriate costumes for each character in all of our productions
• Prepare wardrobe cost estimates from designs to present to the production manager and designer
• Track wardrobe budgets per show; reconcile petty cash and credit card purchases
• Schedule and coordinate wardrobe assistants as needed per production
• Coordinate any wig and makeup needs per production
• Liaise with Stage Management in order to respond to rehearsal and show notes and to schedule fittings
• Provide assistance or consultation for Head of Props and Head Carpenter on any props requiring the use of wardrobe shop.
• Participate in technical and dress rehearsals, photo/media calls, and previews as deemed necessary by the Production Manager and Technical Director
• Provide suitable and reasonable rehearsal costumes for use in the rehearsal hall
• Archive all wardrobe materials from each production
• Attend all Tarragon Opening Night parties
• Maintain wardrobe shop tools, equipment and materials stock; order supplies as necessary
• Maintain a clean, safe and efficient working environment and an organized and well-functioning materials storage area
• Work in conjunction with Tarragon Staff to ensure that all Tarragon events have the necessary wardrobe support
• Adhere to Tarragon’s Health & Safety policies and company policies
• Completion of post-secondary theatre production/technical theatre program
• Minimum 3 years as Head of Wardrobe at a comparable theatre or company
• have experience with costume construction
• have experience researching period costumes
• have the ability to work independently
• be comfortable working with and directing assistants
• have excellent communication skills and be highly organized
• Knowledge and understanding of Health and Safety legislation
• Ability to think critically and problem solve
• Ability to take an initiative
• Ability to work evenings and weekends as required (occasional)
• Have a flexible and adaptable personality
• Possess a strong work ethic and attention to detail
Applications should include a cover letter, resume and salary expectations. The deadline for applications is 5 pm Friday, June 15, 2018. This Contract will start in October 2018 and go until the end of April 2019.
Interested applicants should apply via email to Carla Ritchie, Production Manager
Tarragon is one of Canada’s oldest and most respected mid-sized theatres and is a leader in the field of new Canadian plays. We are dedicated to discovering and mentoring artists who tell Canadian stories. Tarragon believes in equal opportunities in the arts for everyone. We welcome applications from candidates of diverse cultures and backgrounds.
For more information about the theatre, please visit our website at www.tarragontheatre.com.