This is a Permanent, Part-time position.Category: Technical
The Head Stage Carpenter oversees the safe and appropriate operation of all technical elements relating to staging and rigging in The Grand’s Flanagan Theatre and Studio. They are responsible for ensuring that their department contributes to realizing all productions and events at The Grand to the highest standards. Reporting to the Technical Director, the Head Stage Carpenter’s duties include but are not limited to:
- Coordination of all stage department activities
- Operation of rigging systems and related equipment as directed for performances
- Inspection and maintenance of chain motors and equipment
- Maintaining a safe working environment at all times by conforming to all established safety policies and procedures
- Maintaining a comprehensive inventory of all equipment in the stage department
- Ensuring that stage scenery is set up properly and safely
- Construction of basic set pieces as required
- Supervision of teams of casual technicians to ensure efficiency and accuracy
- Overseeing the cleanliness of the stage and backstage areas
- Ensuring meticulously laid dance floors for house and touring companies (Marley floors)
- Assisting with the rigging and focusing of projectors and screens
- Assisting with the maintenance of all technical equipment
- Carrying out all other tasks requested by the TD and PM
- Reporting all accidents/incidents immediately to the TD and Operations Manager
- Abiding by all company rules and bylaws as detailed in Human Resources policies
- Ensuring that internal communications are as efficient as possible and contribute to the overall effectiveness of the technical team
- Attending and participating in technical team meetings and Health and Safety Committee as the Fire Warden
- Cross departmental work is expected where appropriate
- Cleaning and maintaining the seating units
- Completing and submitting Show Reports
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- A minimum of two years’ experience in theatre and a minimum of two years as a Rigger and Stage Technician
- Knowledge of multiple controlled chain motors
- Good general understanding of all technical aspects of theatre and live shows
- Standard First Aid with CPR, WHMIS, and Fall Protection will be required training and attainment for the successful candidate.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- A flexible attitude with a commitment to supporting a variety of events to the highest level.
- Leadership skill and the ability to direct a crew.
- Ability to work autonomously as well as within a team environment.
- Diplomatic written and verbal communication skills.
Technicians at The Grand work under a collective agreement with Local 212 of IATSE (International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees). The Head Stage Carpenter, if not already a member in good standing, will join Local 212 after a probationary period.
Remuneration includes benefits and RRSP. The hours for this position are dependent on the needs of rentals, Resident Company activities, and maintenance requirements.
This position commences September 3, 2019.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Salary: Union/ contract 2019 - 2020 hourly rate $28.00
Fiona Kennedy, Operations Manager
The Grand is a rental venue with two theatre spaces: the 436 seat Flanagan Theatre and the Studio, a black box style rehearsal and presentation space. The Grand is home to two Resident Companies, Making Treaty 7 Cultural Society and Black Radish Theatre, and welcomes the Calgary community to create and aspire in our space.