This is a Seasonal, Part-time position.Category: Design
1. To design, or supervise the selection of the costumes which correspond with the needs and budget of the Production, such needs having been defined in discussions with the Director, the other Designers and the Producer.
2. To supply Preliminary Designs and Completed Designs as required for the estimation of cost and construction of all costumes.
3. To co-ordinate and direct the realization of the costume(s) in direct communications with the Production Manager, Director, or with any other agent as appointed by the Producer.
4. To supervise all shopping and be available as herein defined for shopping.
5. To supervise the selection of costumes, or parts thereof, which are borrowed, rented, purchased, or selected from the Producer stock or performers’ personal wardrobe.
6. To be responsible for the supervision of all necessary fittings and alterations, these fittings to be scheduled by the Producer at mutually agreed upon times and locations.
7. To design, select and/or supervise the selection of all accessories, headgear, gloves, footwear, hose, purses, jewellery, umbrellas, canes, fans, masks, etc.
8. To supervise and/or design makeup and hairstyling and to design, select and/or supervise the selection of wigs, hairpieces, moustaches and beards and to provide sketches showing profile, front and back views with colour information as required by the Producer.
• experience as costume designer for at least 5 professional productions
• technical theatre university degree or college program, or equivalent
• basic IT skills
• High professional standards with acute attention to detail.
• Exceptional communication skills and a demonstrated ability to collaborate with, and lead others.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks with accuracy and to establish and meet deadlines in a timely manner.
• Strong sense of initiative and problem-solving skills required
• Ability to work independently, and also collaborate with the production and artistic team
• Working knowledge of Ontario’s Occupational Health and Safety Act, with specific regards to the live performance guidelines.
We operate under the Canadian Theatre Agreement, and are willing to sign an ADC contract for ADC members. In addition to the ADC fees, free billeting is provided during residency. The Classic Theatre Festival is a project of Burning Passions Theatre. For more information on the Festival, please see classictheatre.ca
Salary: $2,150-$2,300 per production
To apply, please send resume and references to: Laurel Smith, Artistic Producer:
The Classic Theatre Festival, the Ottawa Valley’s only professional theatre company, is seeking a Technical Director for our 2020 summer season in Heritage Perth, Ontario (an hour south of Ottawa). We are a small but vibrant rural community that provides loads of recreational opportunities during the summer, as well as a friendly, highly professional environment to work in.
The 2020 playbill includes three productions:
Affairs of State by Louis Verneuil (June 26 to July 19)
The Philanderer by Bernard Shaw (July 24 to Aug. 16)
Sleuth by Anthony Shaffer (Aug. 21 to Sept. 13)
The Classic Theatre Festival is a project of Burning Passions Theatre, a registered charity.