This is a Temporary, Part-time position.Category: Other
Under the direction of the Senior VA Technician and Theatre Productions Coordinator, the Carpenter assists students with the building sets, props, and furniture for the department’s season of theatre. The Carpenter assists in organizing set construction; constructs and sets up scenery; assists with props construction; maintains theatre sets during the show run; assists with organizing set strike, requisitions supplies, and completes post production clean-up of sets. The Carpenter reads the scripts of the plays in production; attends all staff meetings; and works with other faculty and staff to encourage and mentor students to achieve professional competence in backstage activities. The Carpenter also assists with technical theatre class projects; ensures shop tools are properly maintained and safe to operate; assists in maintaining shop supplies and the tracking of inventories of supplies; assists in maintaining the order and cleanliness of workshop storage and backstage areas.
• The successful candidate must have a minimum of two (2) years’ experience in theatre set construction
• Experience working in a post-secondary or educational theatre environment is preferred
• Ability to demonstrate and provide feedback to students in a positive approach in learning stage carpentry
• Well-developed interpersonal skills and ability to work independently and collaboratively, exhibiting respect for all members in a team environment
• Creativity and initiative
• Ability to remain calm under pressure, manage competing priorities
• Ability to work a flexible time schedule is necessary.
• A working knowledge of WorkSafe BC Performing Arts and Construction Shop health and safety requirements and safe work practices
• MSDS, WHIMS, First aid training an asset
Salary: $1,411.02 - $1,673.56 per month (Staff pay group 2) - 50% full-time position
Shortlisted applicants may be required to undergo a criminal record check. Shortlisted applicants will be required to provide copies of their most recent evaluation summary.
Direct resume including evidence of appropriate qualifications by November 24, 2017, referring to Posting #2017.200 to:
University of the Fraser Valley
33844 King Road, Abbotsford, BC, Canada V2S 7M8
Tel: (604) 854-4554 Fax: (604) 854-1538 Website: www.ufv.ca
Email resumes to:
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. In an effort to be both environmentally and fiscally responsible, UFV will contact only candidates receiving an interview. We thank all applicants for considering UFV for employment.
UFV is committed to the principle of equity in employment.
The University of the Fraser Valley is nationally recognized for its commitment to teaching excellence, community relevance, and Indigenization. With over 100 programs, from graduate and undergraduate arts, science, and professional degrees, to trades and technical education, university preparation, and continuing education UFV is the school of choice for over 15,000 students.