This is a Temporary, Full-time position.Category: Technical
Province: Toronto, Ontario
Position: Assistant Technical Director, Shakespeare in High Park
Deadline: February 7, 2020
Posted: January 14, 2020
Job Description / Duties
Canadian Stage is seeking candidates for the position of Assistant Technical Director. The primary focus of this position will be to work with the Technical Director on Shakespeare in High park.
The Assistant Technical Director (ATD) is a member of the Production Department and reports to the Technical Director. The ATD assists the Technical Director with the daily operation of the Production Department, and any production related activities for Shakespeare in High Park. They will spend much time outdoors at the park, overseeing set up and providing technical support to IATSE crew and department heads.
- Other members of the Production Department
- Other Canadian Stage departments
- IATSE department heads and crews
- External organizations such as Berkeley Street Partners, renters, suppliers, etc.
- Assist the Technical Director, Production Manager, Director of Production and other Production Department members as required
- Production driver as required by the needs of the Production Department, CS productions and presentations, and related activities
- Provide production support to Canadian Stage events and activities where required
- Supervise, when needed, the successful and timely load in of, and technical events related to Shakespeare in High Park
- Acquire supplies for general operations and maintenance within the Production Department
- Evening and weekend work is required for this position
- Create and modify CAD drawings
- Manage, track and reconcile petty cash expenses
Qualifications / Required Skills
- Minimum of three years professional experience in theatre production or a closely related field
- An Ontario G-class Driver’s License with a clear driving record (driver’s abstract required prior to final hiring)
- Moderate knowledge of lighting, sound, and video equipment
- Product, material, pricing, and logistics research skills
- Working knowledge of current safety standards
- Knowledge and practical experience using Microsoft Office
- Knowledge and practical experience using VectorWorks or AutoCAD
- Experience working in a unionized stage environment is a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to work on multiple projects with tight deadlines
- A positive attitude while working under pressure
- Strong interpersonal skills, integrity, high energy, creativity, a collaborative spirit, and the cultural sensitivity needed to work effectively in a diverse environment of artists, producers, creative and management teams combined with a passion for the performing arts and the desire to be part of a vibrant Canadian contemporary theatre company
Position: Assistant Technical Director
Status: Contract position, 40 hours per week
Dates: May 19-July 12, 2020
Submit a cover letter and resume by email to Elissa Horscroft, Director of Production at by Friday, February 7. Please indicate Application for Assistant Technical Director in the subject field.
We are grateful to all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Canadian Stage's mission is to be the leading contemporary performing arts organization in the country. A collision of disciplines and cultures, Canadian Stage reflects the dynamism and complexity of Canada and is a vital artistic force locally, nationally and internationally. We strive to embody our core values: creativity, empathy, inclusivity, excellence, collaboration and community. Our vision is to establish an internationally renowned, state-of-the-art, cultural institution that will feature contemporary performances of the highest quality, workshops and masterclasses taught by leading national and international artists, support for the development of new works for the large stage, training for Canada's next generation of creators and other cultural events that engage the diverse communities of Toronto and that authentically reflect Canada's largest city.