This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Technical
Province: Ottawa, Ontario
Position: Assistant Technical Director
Deadline: January 15, 2020
Posted: December 19, 2019
Job Description / Duties
Reporting to the Production Manager and Technical Director, the ASSISTANT TECHNICAL DIRECTOR is an integral member of the Great Canadian Theatre Company who shares, supports and contributes to the values of the organization and works hard to promote these efforts in their day-to-day work.
The Assistant Technical Director is a key member of a 5-person, full-time IATSE production crew. The crew works collaboratively with management to execute the production requirements of all activities for the company.
In addition to being a lead technician on staff, the Assistant Technical Director may work as primary department head from project to project (e.g. Lighting, Sound or Set Construction, depending on expertise, project demands and development opportunities).
The Assistant Technical Director will, at times, act as an operator on show calls or rehearsals for activities on the GCTC Mainstage or in the GCTC Studio Theatre. As such, it is expected that the Assistant Technical Director will vary their schedule in coordination with the rest of the production team, depending on their assigned role.
All staff and contractors employed by the GCTC are expected to work collaboratively, cooperatively and respectfully to resolve conflict, to facilitate timely decision-making and to ensure a healthy work environment for all.
SCHEDULE AND HOURLY RATE
The ASSISTANT TECHNICAL DIRECTOR is employed full-time for a guaranteed minimum of thirty-eight (38) work weeks per year. The Assistant Technical Director is guaranteed a minimum of forty (40) hours each week. Overtime hours (1.5 X Regular Hourly Rate) are paid according to the terms of a collective agreement.
The candidate for this position must be, or be willing to become, a member in good standing of IATSE Local 471 in Ottawa. The IATSE Union’s Collective Agreement with GCTC sets terms for vacation weeks, minimum hours, work breaks, and other regulations for scheduling and pay.
Regular Hourly Rate: $26 - $28 / hr, subject to the Collective Agreement.
The candidate should expect to work evenings and weekends in this position. A competitive insurance package is offered.
ASSETS AND AREAS OF EXPERTISE
It is considered as asset if Assistant Technical Director candidates have a firm working knowledge of one (or both) areas of expertise, and a desire to develop any missing and related skills. This expertise must include knowledge of standard design practices, equipment maintenance, and operation in one or both fields:
> Live Sound Mixing (mixing live music, live audio effects, etc.)
> Set Construction (theatrical construction methods, carpentry or cabinetry skills, etc.)
Qualifications / Required Skills
- In collaboration with the Production Manager and Technical Director, fulfill all technical requirements for the department
- Collaborate with the leadership to supervise all regular and part-time production crew
- Work in a non-departmental production team and support a diverse range of disciplines including e.g. scenic painting, props construction and wardrobe cutting, maintenance, and sewing
- Act as a leader for the production department by championing the company’s Health and Safety Guidelines, Healthy Workplace Policy, and the Production Department’s Statement of Success
- Foster an inclusive, accessible and healthy working environment
- Support individual crew members in their professional development, and provide guidance and encouragement on special projects
- Occasionally operate lighting and/or sound equipment for GCTC Mainstage or Studio activities
- Work with Production Department staff and members of the creative team (directors, stage management, designers) to ensure that all productions are realized to the highest artistic standard
- In conjunction with the Production Manager and Technical Director, execute technical budgets, develop material estimates and construction schedules, as required
- Meet with designers to discuss preliminary and final design plans, and assist in analyzing and interpreting plans to determine materials and labor estimates
- Assist and support your team in set construction duties and technical work
- Analyze and fulfill technical riders for shows presented by the company
- Liaise and work with rental and partner companies to fulfill their technical needs
- Track the inventory of all technical equipment and maintain it in good working order
- Other related duties as assigned
- Post-secondary degree in the technical/production field, or equivalent work experience
- Proven supervisory experience, preferably in a professional theatre setting
- Extensive knowledge of best practices in stagecraft and theatre production, from a range of practices and disciplines
- Excellent attention to detail, accuracy and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently, prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and exercise good judgment and initiative
- Ability to manage multiple, competing priorities successfully in a fast-paced work environment
- Skilled in personal time management, with an awareness and respect for a healthy work-life balance for yourself and the team
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact with all staff and artists in a professional, confidential and tactful manner (both verbal and written)
- Proven knowledge of healthy workplace practices
- Proficiency in MS Excel, Gmail, calendars, etc.
- Ability to create and modify CAD drawings is considered an asset for this position
GCTC is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer and strongly supports and values diversity in the workplace. We know that multiple viewpoints and diverse experiences within a team make for the best problem-solving and creative thinking. If your experience is THIS close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying. Applications from all interested candidates are welcome.
Salary: $26.00 - $28.00 / hr, subject to a Collective Agreement
Interested parties should apply with cover letter and resumé, detailing all relevant experience to:
To Production Manager - email@example.com
Subject Assistant Technical Director Search *your name here*
RE: Assistant Technical Director Search
Great Canadian Theatre Company
300-1227 Wellington Street West
Ottawa, ON K1Y 0G7
Applications must be received by 4pm on WEDNESDAY JANUARY 15th 2020
We will reply in a timely manner to acknowledge receipt of your application. Thereafter, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Great Canadian Theatre Company (GCTC) has successfully produced professional contemporary theatre in Ottawa since 1975 with a commitment to the advancement of Canadian theatre and the creation of Canadian plays. Our mandate is to produce theatre that "provokes examination of Canadian life and our place in the world”.
GCTC’s facility includes a 262 seat, modern Mainstage theatre and a flexible black box Studio Theatre at the Irving Greenberg Theatre Centre. We embrace our responsibility to mentor artists, provide professional development, and share our resources with the artistic community.