This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Technical
Canadian Stage, one of Canada’s leading professional non-profit theatres, is searching for an Assistant Technical Director to join our production team. Reporting to the Technical Director, the Assistant Technical Director will assist in the planning, management, and supervision of technical elements for Canadian Stage’s productions, presentations, and related activities.
• In consultation with the Technical Director, ensures that all technical elements are delivered on schedule and on budget
• Supervises IATSE crew members on assigned productions and events
• Liaises with creative team and Production Department staff and troubleshoots technical challenges as required
• Assumes the lead technical responsibility for assigned productions in consultation with the Technical Director
• Communicates and co-ordinates with suppliers and organizes equipment rentals, purchases, and repairs
• Creates and modifies CAD drawings
• Creates and distributes production schedules for assigned productions and projects
• Other related duties as assigned
• Post-secondary degree from a recognized technical theatre training institution or an equivalent combination of education and professional experience.
• Strong knowledge of all show systems, including lighting, sound, video, staging, rigging
• Full G-class licence in good standing; comfortable driving large 20-26’ straight trucks
• Ability to read and create technical drawings
• Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
Ideal personal qualities include:
• Excellent initiative and problem-solving skills
• Ability to work independently, meet deadlines, and multi-task under pressure as a dynamic and supportive team member
• Strong interpersonal skills, creativity, and a collaborative spirit
Evening and weekend work is required for this position.
Please apply in confidence with a Letter of Interest and resume by email to Greg Dougherty, Technical Director, at . Applications will be accepted until November 10, 2017.
We thank everyone who applies, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. All applications are considered confidential.
Canadian Stage welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Founded in 1987, Canadian Stage is one of the country’s leading not-for-profit contemporary theatre companies, with the 2017.18 season marking the organization’s 30th season. Led by Artistic & General Director Matthew Jocelyn, Canadian Stage produces and showcases innovative theatre from Canada and around the world, allowing its audience to encounter daring work guided by a strong directorial vision and a 21st-century aesthetic. The company prides itself on presenting multidisciplinary pieces and work in translation that pushes the boundaries of form and style. Canadian Stage reinforces the presence of Canadian art and artists within an international context through work that mirrors the cultural diversity of Toronto. The company stages an annual season of work at three major venues (the Bluma Appel Theatre, the Berkeley Street Theatre and the High Park Amphitheatre) and runs a series of artist development and education initiatives, as well as youth and community outreach programs. For more information, visit www.canadianstage.com.