|What sorts of things have you been lubricating Ross?|
|Dave there's something in there that makes me wonder if you joke. I'll assume that this is a straight question and say the car door hinges, the garage door rollers and the like. Tom's isn't as good as Glen's but who would use a single malt on a door.|
|Actually Ross, I was trying to get a rise out of you but you didn't bite
But then I did decide to do a real search for the MSDS on this product because I was curious if this "natural" product was as green and earth friendly as they claim. Take a look at this link:
In particular, look at sections 3 and 4.
|Thanks for that. No more putting it in my martinis.|
|I had to check on WD40. It's not clear to me which is better. It does say intentional abuse may be harmful or fatal. If I use it to froth my warm hazelnut milk is that abuse?
2 – Hazards Identification
Emergency Overview: DANGER! Flammable aerosol. Contents under pressure. Harmful or fatal if swallowed. If swallowed, may be aspirated and cause lung damage. May cause eye irritation. Avoid eye contact. Use with adequate ventilation. Keep away from heat, sparks and all other sources of ignition.
Symptoms of Overexposure: Inhalation: High concentrations may cause nasal and respiratory irritation and central nervous system effects such as headache, dizziness and nausea. Intentional abuse may be harmful or fatal. Skin Contact: Prolonged and/or repeated contact may produce mild irritation and defatting with possible dermatitis. Eye Contact: Contact may be irritating to eyes. May cause redness and tearing. Ingestion: This product has low oral toxicity. Swallowing may cause gastrointestinal irritation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. This product is an aspiration hazard. If swallowed, can enter the lungs and may cause chemical pneumonitis, severe lung damage and death. Chronic Effects: None expected. Medical Conditions Aggravated by Exposure: Preexisting eye, skin and respiratory conditions may be aggravated by exposure.
Suspected Cancer Agent:
Ingestion (Swallowed) : Aspiration Hazard. DO NOT induce vomiting. Call physician, poison control center or the WD-40 Safety Hotline at 1-888-324-7596 immediately. Eye Contact: Flush thoroughly with water. Remove contact lenses if present after the first 5 minutes and continue flushing for several more minutes. Get medical attention if irritation persists.
Skin Contact: Wash with soap and water. If irritation develops and persists, get medical attention. Inhalation (Breathing) : If irritation is experienced, move to fresh air. Get medical attention if irritation or other symptoms develop and persist.
And back to Tom's, the eco product.
"ECOLOGICAL INFORMATION: No Information."
|(And now I have mention that I didn't put in the sad faces. I cut & pasted and the included bracket and colon produced the icon. )
Edit: sign of the times... I've edited the text to avoid the "smiley" face. Mo
|Who knows which one is less harmful - but when one claims to be "non-toxic" on the label and then says don't get it on your skin, don't breath the fumes and whatever you do, don't get it in your eyes - it just shows how misleading product labeling can be.
I'd keep it out of the martini's too.
|If you look at the two ingredients its not that bad of a product, I think the warnings are just lawyer talk
01 VEGETABLE OILS MIXTURE 65.0 %
02 ISOBUTANE 75-28-5 40.0 %
The percentages are less than, which leaves a 5% overlap for sloppiness - again more lawyer stuff
This also is the same make-up as Pam cooking spray, which makes it a great SpudGun propellant, just not sure if the veggie oils are eatable.
I would continue to use it to froth you coffee Ross, just make sure to drink it away from an open flame or sparks.
|I wonder if the production of this product is more sustainable.
Perhaps non-toxic is a separate idea than sustainable or more sustainably manufactured.
After all many poisons are natural, though hardly non-toxic