This is a Temporary, Full-time position.Category: Other
Locations: Ontario and Quebec; Tour locations are listed under ‘Tour Dates’
Compensation: Contract work Compensation per event on lump-sum basis for a designated time.
Tour members will receive: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and Snacks on each show day
Accommodations are provided for at each Shine location
Staff will be transported from Toronto to each event location.
March 23-26: Chatham, Chatham Capitol Theatre
March 30 – April 2: Gatineau #1, Museum of Civilization
April 6 - 9: Kingston, Ambassador Conference Resort
April 16: EASTER – NO COMPETITIONS
April 20-23: Peterborough, ShowPlace Performance Centre
April 27 - 30: Gatineau #2, Museum of Civilization
May 4 - 7: London, DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London
May 11 - 14: St. Catharines, First Ontario PAC
May 22: VICTORIA DAY – NO COMPETITIONS
May 25 - 28: Gatineau #3, Palais des congres
July 3rd – July 8th: NATIONALS (might extend to begin July 1st)
*Note: Staff will be driven to the event location the day before it begins, and brought back to a designated drop off location late Sunday night .
*For the Gatineau locations, staff will leave around 2pm on the day before the event begins and brought back to a designated drop off location around 2pm the day after the event ends.
* Dates may be added or subtracted based on registration. Confirmation of final dates will be in February.
• Primary liaison with studio teachers
• Check-in performances as they arrive backstage and confirm cues/props (150-200 performances per day)
• Manage any prop ‘load-ins’ or set-up with studio teachers
• Take photographs of dancers as they arrive backstage
• Communicate all scheduling changes to the Music Manager and other Teachers
• Ability to speak basic French is an asset
• Keep the backstage area organized, calm, and friendly
• Periodic sweeps of the stage and removing any debris between performances
• Help Awards Manager when required
• Organize swag bags and distribute to studio Directors
• Ability to learn simple dance routines for the Awards ceremony
• Toss-out prizes on stage and hand out awards during the awards ceremony (on a rotation basis and held five times a day)
• Mark center stage throughout the event
• Nationals July event: aid with the various activities planned for the dancers
• Aid in the take-down of each event and the loading of the truck
*What We’re Looking For:
• Previous experience as a backstage manager or working at dance competitions
• Must be high energy and friendly, and work well with others
• Enjoy working with youth age 5yrs – 18yrs
• Work well under pressure and in a fast paced environment while demonstrating flexibility.
• Possess strong management skills, organizational skills, and communication skills
• Must be able to multi-task and work independently
• Ability to stay calm and collected through various live event situations while also taking and implementing any feedback given by the Directors.
• Must take pride in your work
• Enjoy working in a high-volume, fast-paced, guest-service oriented environment
• Can problem solve and keep our clients happy with their backstage experience
• Will share hotel room with other staff members of the same sex
• A drivers license is an asset
Interested talent supply companies/ individuals ready to work on contract basis, Send applications to Justine Shoolman:
Only applicants who can commit to the full tour will be considered (approximately 59 hours per event).
Interested applicants should submit their cover letter and resume via email. Cover letter should include a brief description of why you are interested in the said position and any relevant experience.
We thank you in advance for your interest in joining Shine. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Shine Dance Competitions continues to present a competition that is not simply a place where dancers compete, but a place where they have fun and build memories of their competitive experience. With its inception in 2002, Shine has since grown to host nine annual competitions and service over 4,000 competitive dancers each season.
Shine also focuses on giving back to the community and runs a charity food drive at every competition and is an approved community partner and fundraiser for the Hospital for Sick Children. Shine Dance Competitions takes great pride in running a competition with a commitment to excellence.