This is a Permanent, Part-time position.Category: Technical
Theatre Technicians are responsible for ensuring that the lighting, sound, and other technical aspects of various performances and events run safely, smoothly, and on time. Flexibility and the ability to adapt and work in varying production capacities is integral to the position. Effective communication skills and time management are also requisite traits. The job of a technician demands both methodical attention to detail, the ongoing maintenance of a performance space, and an ability to improvise and solve unique technical problems as they arise.
While primarily based out of the Horowitz Theatre, Technicians will work in various venues in the Students' Union Building or across the University of Alberta North Campus.
Theatre Technicians at the Horowitz will normally specialize in one area of: sound production, lighting production, and stage management. Theatre Technicians will report to the Technical Director, with additional guidance provided by the Manager - Programming & Venues.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design, assemble and deploy various technical systems for theatre productions to specific requirements and/or in consultation with clients to best meet their needs.
- Operation and routine maintenance of all in-house systems and components.
- Ensure that equipment and inventory are maintained and controlled in an organized manner including supplies, tools and special maintenance requirements.
- Supervise and instruct technical assistants as required for sound and other production services.
- Supervise, assist and advise clients to ensure that their needs are met within the terms of their contract while ensuring that theatre, building and campus policies, rules and safety regulations are adhered to.
- Report and advise on client use time, problems and concerns.
- Work in other production capacities including sound, lighting, stage management and house management as required.
- To attend production meetings and regular technical department meetings as required.
- To ensure the public areas of the theatre and/or production space are in a safe and presentable condition.
- Perform other job-related duties, within the bounds of the required qualifications, as coordinated by the Technical Director or the Manager - Programming & Venues.
- Knowledge and ability in the setup interfacing and operation of sophisticated audio and/or lighting systems for diverse production situations.
- Ability to assume responsibility for the organization maintenance and control of technical systems and associated inventory including documentation and reporting as required.
- Ability to communicate effectively with clients (amateur and professional), the public, co-workers, and technical assistants enabling decision making within time restraints.
- Ability to communicate and administer Facility, Campus and Building policies including an awareness of occupational health and safety requirements and emergency procedures.
- Knowledge in associated production areas including sound, lighting, stage management, stage carpentry and general facility maintenance including methods, use, and proper care of tools.
- Completion of Alberta Grade XII or equivalent and a post secondary education in Technical Theatre and/or Sound/Recording Systems or equivalent experience is necessary.
- Good physical condition.
Technicians work erratic shifts as mutually agreed to by the employer, employee and the union.
This position is subject to a Collective Bargaining Agreement
Salary: Starts at $17.89/hour for general calls, $20.38/hour for specialized calls
Please apply online at https://uasu.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=29
The Horowitz Theatre is a 720 concert hall located on the University of Alberta campus in Edmonton, Alberta. With over 200 events per year, the Horowitz hosts a variety of events from campus lectures, to community organized programming, and concerts and shows with all major Canadian promoters. The Horowitz Theatre also provides event support services to the university campus.