This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Technical
• Technical Director of Suitcase in Point’s season, including In the Soil Arts Festival
• Oversee technical needs, work plans and expedite productions within scheduled deadlines
• Assist in recruitment and training of technical interns and volunteers
• Plan and implement technical workshops for young adults interested in the field of production
• Assist in recruitment and training of technical volunteers for In the Soil Arts Festival
• Provide hands-on learning opportunities for youth in sound and lighting
• Work with Artistic Director and Staff to plan and implement technical learning opportunities for youth
• 5+ years of experience in the arts and culture industry with minimum three years experience as Technical Director. Experience in “indie” scene considered an asset
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and leadership skills with a demonstrated ability to work as a part of a team
• High attention to detail with effective organization and time management skills and the ability to multi-task many competing priorities
• Proven ability to analyze, evaluate and report on technical support needs, including budgets, research, schedules
Additional Skills Considered an Asset
• Thorough knowledge of structural and mechanical construction for the stage, both materials and techniques, including welding, rigging and painting.
• Ability to read and produce blueprints as well as thorough knowledge of Computer Aided Drafting platforms, AUTOCAD, QLAB considered an asset
• Intermediate+ knowledge of video projection, sound and lighting
• Working knowledge of current safety standards and the implementation of same
• Superb organizational skills and ability to work on multiple projects and deadlines
We love the work we do in downtown St. Catharines and are looking for someone with integrity, high energy, creativity, a collaborative spirit, and the cultural sensitivity needed to work effectively in a diverse environment of artists, producers, creative and management teams. If this sounds like a good fit, we’d love to hear from you.
Please email cover letter, CV and references to firstname.lastname@example.org with Technical Director and Mentor in the subject line
Deadline to apply: November 30, 2016
This position is funded by the Ontario Trillium Foundation
Suitcase in Point is (SIP) an award-winning ensemble of artists who create, produce and present original performances and cultural events from our home in St. Catharines. We also run a studio space in the heart of our downtown core and proudly produce Niagara’s largest grassroots multidisciplinary festival, In the Soil Arts Festival, each April.
Scope of Production
The scope of production for Suitcase in Point is varied. The most technically demanding is In the Soil Arts Festival which includes a street closure and tented venue, various venues in existing establishments, theatre venues, an integrated arts production at the Marilyn I. Walker School of Fine and Performing Arts, and other locations in St.Catharines downtown core. The technical demands are elaborate and multi-faceted. There are also three annual cabarets that require technical direction production. There are monthly comedy events that require the same. SIP manages a studio space that has technical demands throughout the year. SIP has an inventory of technical equipment that we use often and requires maintenance. Occasionally we source equipment that is production specific.
AMP (Arts Mentorship Program) is as a new initiative for our company and we seek a Technical Director with a passion for the performing arts and youth mentorship to join our team. The Technical Director/ Mentor will work with us to plan, design and implement both technical production for our season and technical mentorship programs for emerging and hopeful professionals. We are seeking a person skilled in many aspects of technical theatre, multi-disciplinary production with hands-on experience working with young people.