This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Production
YPT is currently searching for a candidate to fill the position of Stage Carpenter. The Stage Carpenter will report to the Director of Production and Technical Director. This is a seasonal full-time position typically running from September to May. This is a unionized position represented by the I.A.T.S.E. Local #58. The theatre is a fixed grid with a motor and truss system.
• Under the direct supervision of the Technical Director, the Stage Carpenter supports the planning, set-up, operation and maintenance of all produced and presented shows in the YPT season.
• Works closely with the Technical Director and all production department Heads to support the rigging and operational requirements of scenic stage elements, props, audio, video and lighting equipment and any special effects.
• Supports all technical rehearsals and is part of the running crew during the show run. Performs maintenance on show elements as required.
• Attends production and staff meetings as required.
• Maintains general cleanliness and safe working state of the stage, rigging gear, stage lift, and fall arrest systems.
• Instructs staff in the proper use of stage equipment and the appropriate use of safety equipment.
• Assists with building operations and facility maintenance as assigned by management.
• Participates in YPT educational activities and community engagement programs as assigned by management.
• Other production, maintenance and operations duties as assigned by management.
• Graduate of a recognized theatre program.
• Minimum of 3 years experience working as a Stage Carpenter. Experience with a producing theatre company is an asset
• Thorough knowledge of stage craft, theatrical rigging/flying, scenic carpentry, stage electrics.
• Ability to read technical drawings. Familiarity with Vectorworks is an asset.
• Excellent communication, interpersonal, collaborative and leadership abilities.
• A Valid Ontario Class G Driver’s license (or equivalent) is an asset.
• Thorough knowledge of health and safety regulations and experience in adhering to health and safety in the workplace.
• Ability to work evenings and weekends during tech period and show runs.
In accordance with YPT’s policy of screening all adults involved in working with children, the applicant will be required to provide a résumé and cover letter, be interviewed by at least two people, complete a reference check and, if offered employment, obtain a Vulnerable Sector Screening Check. Offers of employment are conditional upon providing a satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Screening Check and agreeing to abide by YPT'S Child Safety Policy and Code of Conduct.
Young People’s Theatre is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer that strongly supports and values diversity and fosters an equitable and inclusive work environment which includes accommodation. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome, and people with disabilities and individuals from equity-seeking groups are encouraged to apply. Interested parties should apply with cover letter and résumé detailing all relevant experience to:
Stage Carpenter Search
Young People’s Theatre
165 Front Street East
Toronto, ON M5A 3Z4
Young People’s Theatre (YPT), which celebrated its 50th Anniversary Season in 2015/16, is Canada’s largest theatre for young audiences. It currently produces and presents an 8-play season with an audience of approximately 70,000. Housed in a renovated, historical venue in downtown Toronto, YPT works on a 458-seat Mainstage and a 115-seat Studio stage as well as operating a year-round Drama School. Its operating budget is approximately $5 million. The family-friendly employee culture at YPT (given that hours are primarily daytime) encourages ingenuity, team-work, and an atmosphere of learning. YPT’s artistic policy focuses on arts and education – in fact, learning is at the centre of everything we do.