This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Production
This position is responsible for shop management, materials procurement, and project implementation.
The Shop Manager reports directly to the CEO and General Manager. Provides support to Project Managers. Works in collaboration with such lead positions (eg: Head Carpenter, Head Scenic Painters, Shop Manager). Supervises the quality and efficiency of work by shop personnel such as scenic carpenters, scenic painters, and labourers.
- Responsible for the smooth operation of the scene shop and provides support to the CEO and Project Managers as necessary
- Manages the scene shop, through the assignment of shop space and resource allocations, and by supervising technical and other staff, directs manufacturing workflows, supervises building and painting of projects, prepare projects for installation off-site
- Establishes and develops technical and administrative methods to meet work schedules and deadlines
- Manages materials procurement for projects and shop stock in cooperation with Project Managers and the Finance department
- Implements project designs and work plans based on approved schedules and budgets
- Monitors production budgets and activity in order to accurately and efficiently bill clients
- Responsible for liaising with all necessary staff and contract workers regarding the efficient and precise administration of production activity and human resource matters
- Maintains safe working conditions for shop personnel involved in all activities
- Trains and supervises new and young workers in company operations, industry best practices, and health and safety protocol and procedures in collaboration with the Joint Health and Safety Committee
- Recommends work measures to improve productivity
- Assists in developing quotes for clients as needed as well as developing internal budgets, according to the priorities, policies and activities
Works under the supervision of the CEO (Elia Kirby) and also takes direction from the General Manager. Often required to work unsupervised.
This position directly supervises shop staff who maintain shop space and resource allocations, and assists in the allocation of staff time to projects. The Shop Manager works in collaboration with the Project Managers to assist in timely and correct quotes, invoices and other reports as required.
EXERCISING JUDGEMENT/IMPACT OF DECISIONS
Incumbent is responsible for the smooth and safe production practices at the main and off-site locations. The consequences of errors include: EKP Ltd. and client projects could run at a serious resource and financial deficit, and the staff and production personnel may be seriously injured in unsafe working conditions, seriously compromising the organization's ability to operate.
GNW is currently located at 281 Industrial Ave, Vancouver BC. Off-site work takes place at various locations throughout the Greater Vancouver area.
High school graduation with a minimum of 8 years professional experience in the field of technical theatre and/or fine and performing art manufacturing management. Must be able to supervise staff and function well in a collaborative environment. Knowledge of production and employment standards and practices in the entertainment industry and procedures relating to those standards and practices. Current understanding and knowledge of safety practices in the entertainment field. Effective oral and written communication, interpersonal, decision-making and organizational skills are required. Must be able to work well on a deadline in a fast-changing environment. Knowledge of building materials and material procurement is an asset. Professional experience as a Technical Director, Production Manager, and/or Scenic Carpenter or Scenic Painter is an asset.
PROJECTED START DATE
July 23, 2018
Salary: Salary range of $58,240 - $60,320 ($28 - $29/hr) commensurate with experience based on 40 hours per week, year-round. Hours are typically Monday through Friday, however some evening and weekend hours are required based on project needs.
Apply by June 25, 2018. Apply with resume by email only at with the subject line “Shop Manager”. Please no phone calls or in-person applications. Thank you in advance for your interest;
EKP Ltd./GNW is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
Elia Kirby Productions Ltd (EKP Ltd.) does business as the Great Northern Way Scene Shop (GNW) and is an artistic services and fabrication company that builds sets, installations, and displays. With a diverse client-base that includes everyone from large institutions (e.g. Vancouver Art Gallery) to small non-profits (e.g. Pacific Theatre) to corporate companies (e.g. TED Talks, Moment Factory, MEC), GNW operates year-round to produce an array of scenic projects. Located at the western edge of the False Creek Flats and within the Arts Factory building, the GNW Scene Shop is dedicated to supporting Greater Vancouver's cultural community while providing employment to local artisans and craftspeople.