This is a Temporary, Part-time position.Category: Management
The Festival Production Manager provides leadership and management in all areas of production for the 2019 Toronto Sketch Comedy Festival (March 7 – 17, 2019). The Festival performances take place at The Theatre Centre, Comedy Bar, The Great Hall, Crow’s Theatre and other venues to be confirmed.
1. Production Needs Assessment - assessing the production needs of various festival shows and performers, reviewing venue contracts and liaison with venue Production Managers and Technical Directors, and inventorying TOsketchfest’s production resources.
2. Production Scheduling – working with Festival Stage Managers to create the technical rehearsal schedule, creating master production schedule and timelines, creating load-in and strike schedules, building, maintaining and troubleshooting the daily schedules during the Festival.
3. Production Budgeting and Procurement - managing the total production budget as assigned by the Executive Director (HR, rentals, purchases, and venue-related costs), costing the technical rehearsal and performance schedule, sourcing/costing and acquiring production rentals and purchases.
4. Human Resources Management – training, supervising and supporting Stage Management and Production Assistant staff during the festival.
5. On-site during venue load-in and strike at 3-4 festival venues between March 4th and March 18th (on-site work includes both supervision and hands-on work).
6. On-call throughout the festival dates to support Stage Management, Producers and Production Assistants.
7. Administration including participating in production meetings with management staff, preparing final reports including detailed budget report, closing inventory of supplies, attending post-mortem meeting.
8. Stage Management – if the Production Manager is qualified to stage manage comedy shows, they may negotiate a separate and concurrent contract to provide services as a Festival Stage Manager.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
o Proven experience managing logistical elements of theatre/comedy events;
o Specific experience stage managing or producing sketch comedy/improvisation is an asset;
o Strong project management, communication, administration, organizational and planning skills;
o Proven supervisory and team management experience;
o Must be able to follow an agreed-upon work plan and work with confidence and independence;
o Proven ability to be resourceful and detail-oriented;
o Proven ability to manage budgets;
o A broad knowledge of theatrical production equipment and software (lighting, audio and video projection) is required.
o Experience and/or high learning agility with respect to project management software (Marcato, Google Apps, Microsoft Office suite etc.) required.
Start date: mid-December 2018
Festival Dates: March 7-17 2018
To apply, please send a resume/CV along with a brief email of introduction. Bonus points for telling us what makes YOU laugh!
The Toronto Sketch Comedy Festival is North America's premier festival for the presentation of sketch comedy. Now in our 14th year, TOsketchfest presents 80+ acts on 7 stages over 12 days as part of the annual festival. The Toronto Sketch Comedy Festival is one of Canada's only charities that exists to support comedic writer-performers.