This is a Temporary, Full-time position.Category: Management
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Production Manager is responsible for the overall execution of the Badlands Passion Play, taking place in Badlands Amphitheatre within the overall budget and time constraints of the production. This involves coordinating the operations of the various Production Teams (who will report directly to the Production Manager): wardrobe, sound, props, stage management, scenic arts, Volunteer Coordination etc.
Areas of Oversight
• Provide supervision, mentorship and direction to the technical theatre staff and oversee necessary training about the venue.
• Coordinate all technical requirements for the proper execution of events happening within the venue relating to the Badlands Passion Play.
• Plan and supervise the execution of production requirements for the annual season productions (includes creating and maintaining deadlines with all departments)
• Manage and track production budgets as set by the Executive Director & Board of Directors.
• Assist in hiring the seasonal artistic team and production personnel (interviews, negotiating fees, arranging travel and/or housing, and issuing contracts, etc.)
• Manage production team and design process from initial concept though construction, rehearsal, opening and run including oversight of all disciplines’ labour, materials and rentals
• Develop and manage all rehearsal/production calendars and performance schedules
• Lead weekly production meetings during the season of rehearsals/performances.
• Oversee the annual strike-week at the end of the Badlands Passion Play season.
• Oversee the annual winterization of the production areas.
• Compile notes that will inform crews on how to better productions.
• Receive notes from Heads of Departments and the Executive Director and delegate them to the proper departments.
• Co-ordinate the animal actors for the show with their owners and assist the Assistant Stage Manager – Animals in their care.
• Enforce and stay up to date on current health and safety concerns/policies
• Participate in Leadership Team meetings
• Take charge of the volunteer email addresses so as to answer questions etc until the time that the Volunteer Coordinator starts seasonal contract.
• Work with the Volunteer Coordinator to cultivate and maintain a healthy volunteer company.
• Available during performances to problem solve and as a resource for technical emergencies which may arise.
• Occasional physical work is required, including but not limited to: lifting heavy weights, awkward positions, climbing ladders, Aerial lifts and working at heights.
• Attend to all inquiries through personal, telephone, and written communication.
• Other duties as required
Qualifications and Required Skills
• A minimum of 2 years of Theatre Technology/Management Schooling.
• A minimum of 5 years’ experience in the theatre industry as a manager.
• A strong understanding of theatre organization
• Experience in production scheduling/planning/staffing
• A working knowledge of Microsoft Office
• A working knowledge of Mainstream Social Media
• A working knowledge of theatrical technology
• Must enjoy working in a challenging creative environment with a large group of eclectic personalities
• Excellent Inter-personal skills both written and verbal.
• Excellent conflict resolution skills
• Willing and able to walk the challenging outdoor, 60-acre set
• A valid driver’s license is required
• Valuable related experience includes: Vectorworks or AutoCAD, working in theatres with volunteers and/or large casts; certification in theatre rigging; experience with outdoor theatre and/or working with animals and First AID
• Must be able to work daytime, evenings, weekends and holidays.
March 1st – First Day
May 9th – First Day of Rehearsal
July 5th – Opening Night
July 21st – Closing Night
August 31st – Last Day
Salary: Compensation 3500$ - 4200$ a month dependent on experience
Please send a resume and cover letter to:
Executive Director - Badlands Amphitheatre
Now in its 26th season, the Badlands Passion Play is an epic portrayal of the life of Jesus set on Canada’s largest outdoor theatre stage with up to 180 performers on stage. Our 35 member Production team works with the volunteer and paid actor cast to present 9 performance each July to an aggregate audience of over 13,000. We invite you to consider joining us this coming season.