This is a Temporary, Full-time position.Category: Production
YPT is currently searching for a candidate to fill a one-year internship for the position of Production & Operations Intern. Reporting to the Director of Production and Director of Operations, the Production & Operations Intern will work in all aspects of production and facility operations to gain comprehensive experience in producing theatre and operating a theatre facility.
• Collaborate in the coordination of technical requirements for YPT productions.
• Assist in the review and upkeep of operations and production policies, including but not limited to Health and Safety.
• Custodial services as assigned by management.
• Assist in the coordination of build schedules for YPT productions, in consultation with production department heads.
• Assist in the coordination of set-ups, strikes and maintenance calls for YPT.
• Assist with supervising, when required, the work on the mainstage or in the studio.
• Assist in the co-ordination with guest theatre companies and community rentals for all operational and technical and staffing requirements.
• Assist and participate in the company’s Education & Participation programs and events as requested by management.
• Provide production and operations support for various YPT events and activities as required.
• Assist in facility maintenance, upkeep and repair.
• Be available for occasional evening and weekend work.
• Graduate of a recognized theatre program.
• Basic knowledge and experience with all aspects of technical theatre and building operations.
• Knowledge of Vectorworks drafting software and MS Office applications.
• Experience in creating production schedules and managing crews an asset.
• Stong interpersonal, leadership, time and resource management skills. Solution-based problem solving an asset.
• Experience with working at heights.
• A Valid Ontario Class G Driver’s license (or equivalent) is an asset.
• Knowledge of IATSE working environments an asset.
• Knowledge of health and safety regulations and practices an asset.
• Strong attention to detail and motivated by safe work practices.
In accordance with YPT’s policy of screening all adults involved in working with children, the applicant will be required to provide a résumé and cover letter, be interviewed by at least two people, complete a reference check and, if offered employment, obtain a Vulnerable Sector Screening Check. Offers of employment are conditional upon providing a satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Screening Check and agreeing to abide by YPT'S Child Safety Policy and Code of Conduct.
Young People’s Theatre is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer that strongly supports and values diversity and fosters an equitable and inclusive work environment which includes accommodation. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome, and people with disabilities and individuals from equity-seeking groups are encouraged to apply.
Production & Operations Intern Search
Young People’s Theatre
165 Front Street East
Toronto, ON M5A 3Z4
Application Deadline is October 3, 2016
Interviews with qualified candidates may begin prior to the deadline.
While we thank everyone who applies, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Young People’s Theatre (YPT), which celebrated its 50th Anniversary Season in 2015/16, is Canada’s largest theatre for young audiences. It currently produces and presents an 8-play season with an audience of approximately 70,000. Housed in a renovated, historical venue in downtown Toronto, YPT works on a 468-seat Mainstage and a 115-seat Studio stage as well as operating a year-round Drama School. Its operating budget is approximately $5 million. The family-friendly employee culture at YPT (given that hours are primarily daytime) encourages ingenuity, team-work, and an atmosphere of learning. YPT’s artistic policy focuses on arts and education – in fact, learning is at the centre of everything we do.