This is a Temporary, Full-time position.Category: Production
• Supervising and participating in all scenic builds for YPT, as well as any other productions that are built in the YPT scenery shop.
• Working closely with the Technical Director in determining construction and rigging techniques while following best industry practices for construction techniques and safety.
• Ensure flow of information between Prop department, designers, technical director, stage management, and other production departments. Attend all production and staff meetings as required.
• Work closely and collaboratively with Prop and Wardrobe departments.
• Manage carpentry department staffing, schedules, budgets.
• Instruct all staff in the proper use of shop tools and the appropriate safety equipment, and in safety protocols.
• Order, organize and maintain supplies, materials and tools in the shop.
• Maintain general cleanliness and safe working state of the shop.
• Assist with building operations and facility maintenance as assigned.
• Participate in YPT educational activities and community engagement programs as they relate to the role of Head Scenic Carpenter.
• Other duties as assigned by management.
• Graduate of a recognized theatre program.
• Minimum of 5 years experience working as a Scenic Carpenter with at least 2 years experience as a Head Scenic Carpenter with a producing theatre company.
• Good working understanding of scenic construction techniques working with tools, woods, metals, plastics, and air pneumatics. Welding experience is an asset.
• Good working understanding of theatrical rigging techniques.
• Experience and knowledge with computerized drafting (Vectorworks).
• Experience with show costing, material purchasing, and equipment replacement.
• Experience in creating shop schedules and managing shop staff.
• Strong communication, interpersonal, collaborative and leadership abilities and ability to meet deadlines.
• A Valid Ontario Class G Driver’s license (or equivalent) is required.
• Knowledge of health and safety legislation and experience in adhering to health and safety in the workplace.
• Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
In accordance with YPT’s policy of screening all adults involved in working with children, the applicant will be required to provide a résumé and cover letter, undergo an interview by at least two people, complete a reference check and, if offered employment, obtain a Vulnerable Sector Screening Check. Offers of employment are conditional upon providing a satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Screening Check and agreeing to abide by YPT'S Child Safety Policy and Code of Conduct. Young People’s Theatre is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer and strongly supports and values diversity in the workplace. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome and individuals from equity-seeking groups are encouraged to apply.
Interviews with qualified candidates may begin prior to the deadline. While we thank everyone who applies, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Interested parties should apply with cover letter and résumé, detailing all relevant experience to:
Interim Head Scenic Carpenter Search
Young People’s Theatre
165 Front Street East
Toronto, ON M5A 3Z4
Young People’s Theatre (YPT), celebrating its 50th Anniversary Season in 2015/16, is Canada’s largest theatre for young audiences. It currently produces and presents a 9-play season with an audience of approximately 70,000. Housed in a renovated, historical venue in downtown Toronto, YPT works on a 468-seat Mainstage and a 115-seat Studio stage as well as operating a year-round Drama School. Its operating budget is approximately $5 million. The family-friendly employee culture at YPT (given that hours are primarily daytime) encourages ingenuity, team-work, and an atmosphere of learning. YPT’s artistic
policy focuses on arts and education – in fact, learning is at the centre of everything we do.