This is a Permanent, Part-time position.Category: Production
HEAD OF CARPENTRY POSITION
Reports to: Production Manager
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• To construct all scenic elements for Mainstage theatre productions, as well as Theatre School shows and Native Youth Theatre presentations
• Assist in the costing of set and furniture supplies for all Theatre productions
• To create work plans for any casual carpenters that adhere to supplied budgets and schedules
• Advise the Production Manager and Technical Director of potential problems in budgeting and/or scheduling
• Responsible for the handling and repair of scenery on-stage throughout all performance runs
• Supervise the load-in, set-up, scene changes, and strike of stage scenery, including guest company shows
• To work when necessary on other carpentry-related projects on the theatre premises
• Monitor stock and inform the Production Manager and Technical Director of required materials
• Provide a safe and clean working environment on stage, back stage and in shop, and perform any necessary maintenance on all carpentry shop tool inventory
• Other duties as assigned by the Production Manager, Artistic Director and General Manager
• Minimum 2-3 years experience working as a carpenter within the theatre industry
• Skilled in woodworking and welding (aluminum and steel)
• Ability to read technical drawings
• Excellent attention to detail
• Clear and efficient communication
• Strong team player willing to work independently or in a collaborative environment
• Be highly resourceful and possess efficient problem solving and time management skills
• Valid class 5 drivers license
• Possession of a valid pyrotechnic license, first-aid, and CPR is an asset
Start Date: Monday October 2nd, 2017
Contract Details: This is an hourly agreement on a seasonal contract, with a total of 960 hours scheduled throughout the 2017/2018 season. Exact schedule of anticipated work dates and weeks has been prepared and is available upon request. The position is governed by the terms outlined in the collective agreement negotiated between MTYP and IASTE 63, but there is not a requirement that the successful applicant already be a member of IATSE.
Please visit our website at www.mtyp.ca for information on our upcoming season.
Out of town applications are welcome. We thank everyone who applies, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and list of references to Shane Henderson, General Manager, at
Manitoba Theatre for Young People (MTYP) invites applications for the position of Head of Carpentry starting October 2, 2017. MTYP is a not-for-profit professional theatre company solely devoted to young people, a recognized national centre for the creation and celebration of theatre, and a decisive voice in Canada’s artistic and cultural life. MTYP has been creating and presenting professional, innovative theatre productions for children and families since 1982. Each season, MTYP reaches over 90,000 Manitobans through Mainstage productions, touring shows, theatre school classes and drama workshops.