This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Technical
This is highly specialized work of a technical nature; responsibilities include the operation, maintenance, and installation of analog and digital audio, video, and event communications systems commonly used within large and medium sized theatres for all types of events.
• Supervise the operation of the Audio department of the Chan Centre for the Performing Arts Backstage Operations.
• During evening/weekend events or performances may be responsible for the management of the facility.
• Mix Audio for events as required at either the Front of House of Monitor position.
• Responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of all audio, video, and event communications systems within the Chan Centre, work within assigned budget.
• Provide recommendations to the Production Manager on an ongoing basis regarding modifications and upgrades to audio, video, and event communications systems within the Chan Centre.
• Maintain professional currency with respect to industry trends and standards in the operation of audio, video, event communications and related equipment.
• Support the Production Manager by actively participating in the design, planning, installation, and operation of all audio, video, and event communications systems and related equipment within the Chan Centre.
• Participate and provides input to the Production Manager regarding hiring decisions.
• Train Chan Centre Staff (casual and full time) on the use of the all audio, video, and event communications systems within the Chan Centre.
• Play a key role in the budgeting process, make recommendations for an annual operating budget for the Audio Department
• Make recommendations for departmental capital purchases.
• Assist in training, overseeing, and scheduling staff. Supervision of stage technicians (all types) as required.
• Review all incoming client riders and makes recommendations regarding the audio and video requirements listed within those riders.
• Advance all production aspects of shows as required.
• Ensure that client requirements are met in a timely manner.
• Work within the schedule as provided.
• Resolve, with direction from Production Manager, or the Co-Managing Director of Facilities and Operations, client challenges related to Audio, Stage, and backstage areas.
• Ensure effective implementation of new & previously arranged Production Services and Equipment to clients for their performances and related activities at the Chan Centre.
o These Services should follow within the guidelines provided in the Chan Centre Production Policy and Procedures.
o This includes effective implementation of all new equipment installations related to audio, communications and video.
• Recommend policies and procedures to the Production Manager
• In conjunction with other technical, ticketing, and front of house staff ensure that performances and events run smoothly.
• Oversee and ensure that negotiated client production requirements are met for each performance event.
• Represent Chan Centre in a professional manner to the general public, clients, and Artist’s Representatives. Internal to UBC this includes, as required, the staff and students of the University and, specifically, of the Theatre, Film, and Creative Writing Departments, Ceremonies Office, and the UBC School of Music.
• Ensure the security of the building and safety of the performers, staff, and patrons. Operates within Worksafe BC, Chan Centre, and UBC safety guidelines at all times. Positively promote these safe work practices to other staff members and clients at all times.
• Report deficiencies of building amenities to Production Manager or Trouble calls to the Chan Centre Production Clerk.
• Compile performance and event reports on the night of an event and submits to appropriate staff.
• Act as the primary Audio technician for most events.
• Act as the primary Stage technician for select events.
• Perform preventative and reactive maintenance as required on all Chan Centre Audio, Communications and video equipment in order to keep the Chan Centre operating at a high level of efficiency.
• Maintain an inventory of all necessary spare parts and supplies.
• Perform other related duties as required.
• Diploma in a related field of arts production or an equivalent combination of expert level education and experience.
• Minimum of seven years experience in various production related facets of music, the performing arts and technical that demonstrate progressive responsibilities.
• A minimum of two year’s full time experience as Head Audio Technician in a high end/high profile “Road House” environment preferred.
• Proven experience in the maintenance of Audio, communications, and Video Systems.
o Must be able to demonstrate superior audio and video system trouble shooting skills.
• Proven experience in rigging and stagecraft.
o Must be able to demonstrate superior technical knowledge in stage rigging trouble shoot, event rigging, and maintenance.
• Must be able to work at heights
• Proven effective judgment, communication, organizational, interpersonal, customer service and technical skills.
• Must demonstrate excellent record keeping skills
• Specific skills in Stage/Music Audio, Communications and Video are required.
• Expert Knowledge and Concepts in Stage Rigging and Stage Machinery are required.
• Working Knowledge and Concepts in Fall Arrest, Fall Prevention, and Worksafe BC requirements are required.
Works under the direction of the Production Manager.
Responsible for motivating, leading, casual stage and production staff.
Varied shift work and days off are required.
Note: As per the CUPE 2950 collective agreement internal applications will be considered first.
Salary: step-based. see on line posting
Apply through the UBC HR careers Website www.hr.ubc.ca/careers-postings/staff.php
The Chan Centre is located on the Campus of the University of British Columbia, and serves the local community, the university community, university functions and performances,and professional touring musical acts.
The Centre, built in 1997, has 3 performance venues: 1160 seat adjustable concert hall, 250 seat black box flexible theatre, and a 200 seat cinema.