This is a Contract, Full-time position.Category: Technical
In this position, reporting to the Production & Theatre Operations Manager and the Technical Director, you will provide technical expertise and leadership for theatre and other venue usage by school productions, rentals and guest productions. This will include booking and supervising all theatre personnel, providing advice and assistance to rental clients, and implementing policies and procedures for the safety of all theatre users.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
• Providing technical expertise and leadership for NBS productions and events.
• Assisting with the set-up, running and teardown of any equipment required for an event.
• Facilitating the use of the theatre and other NBS rental venues.
• Facilitating the use of the theatre and studios for the school by providing “on-call” assistance to staff, students, and teachers using the space.
• Ensures the smooth and safe operation of the theatre and NBS studios by monitoring equipment maintenance and repairs.
• Post-Secondary education in a Theatre-related program or equivalent;
• Minimum two (2) years of hands on production experience;
• Demonstrated leadership skills to supervise and motivate the crew;
• Working knowledge of theatre and dance production aspects including dance floors, lighting, sound, rigging in a fly house, staging & set elements;
• Strong knowledge of health & safety regulations and best practices as well as safe rigging and work at height procedures;
• Proven understanding of technical riders and ability to interpret the needs of both rental and in- house clients;
• Knowledge of Vectorworks is an asset; Good knowledge of Microsoft Office;
• Experience with ETC ION lighting console and Audio-Visual equipment.
• Good organizational and scheduling skills;
• Hours of work may vary to include evenings and weekends as needed for NBS, Rental Shows, and Events;
Successful candidates must supply Canada’s National Ballet School with a Police Reference Check in accordance with the School’s Child Abuse/Sexual Abuse Prevention Policy; this will be coordinated through the Human Resources Department of NBS.
Qualified applicants should send their resumes to including “Assistant Technical Director” in the subject line of your email by October 15, 2013
Salary: commiserate with experience
Since its founding in 1959, Canada’s National Ballet School (NBS) has garnered the highest international acclaim for excellence in the training of dance professionals. NBS graduates dance in major companies around the world, and include some of the world’s finest choreographers and artistic directors. In addition to its core professional ballet program which includes residence and academic education for students in Grades 6 through 12, and intensive dance training for post-secondary students, NBS has an esteemed teacher training program and part-time classes for both young dancers and adults. NBS is currently inviting applications for the regular, full-time position of
ASSISTANT TECHNICAL DIRECTOR