This is a Temporary, Part-time position.Category: Technical
The Department of Creative Economy is responsible for delivering key aspects of the Invest Barrie strategy by supporting an environment, and engaging in initiatives, that are conducive to the growth of a broad creative economy, and thereby create the conditions that will lead to the successful realization of Invest Barrie’s strategic goals of Economic Diversification and Resiliency.
The Department consists of the culture branch and the entrepreneurship & business innovation team, and is responsible for both strategic and operational service delivery areas. This includes:
Creative Industries - Promote the development and growth of targeted cultural and creative industry clusters, build stronger integration between business and the arts, grow cultural entrepreneurship, and increase the contributions and benefits of the creative economy to Barrie’s economic prosperity.
Under the general guidance and direction of the Manager of Culture, the Theatre Technician (PT) position is responsible for planning and administering all technical services for assigned events and performances at the Mady Centre for the Performing Arts and the Georgian Theatre. Specifically, this position is responsible for the set-up, operation and maintenance of professional theatre equipment and tools and operating sound and lighting system. Additionally, this position also provides technical advice to renters of the theatre facilities. Overall, this position plays an integral role in the successful delivery of shows, events and performances by overseeing the technical requirements.
• Your workplace values align with our corporate values of Strive, Share and Care and you want to join us in providing exceptional services and programs to build a prosperous, growing and sustainable community
• Two (2) year College Diploma in Theatre Arts-Technical Production, Theatre Production or related discipline
• Two (2) years of cumulative part-time experience or one (1) year of full-time experience performing duties related to the above mentioned major responsibilities in a theatre or production company work environment
• Demonstrated experience with theatre audio and lighting systems
• General knowledge of set building, design and related safety requirements
• Demonstrated ability to maintain and repair lighting and audio equipment
• Demonstrated ability to maintain a high standard of public relations at all times
• Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision
• Thorough customer service and communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to exert effort to lift and carry objects not exceeding 14 kg regularly
• Basic computer literacy in utilizing Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook)
• Availability to work evenings, weekends and/or holidays, as required
For full details, visit our website: www.barrie.ca/jobopps
Salary: This is a Level 6 position on the Non-Union PT Pay Scale with a 2017 pay range of $21.27 to $ $29.35 per hour.
Please submit your resume electronically by quoting file # T-17-81 Theatre Technician in the subject line (MS Word or pdf format only) to email by Thursday, January 4, 2018.
The City of Barrie is a vibrant, progressive and growing community with deep connections to our heritage, to nature and to the opportunities surrounding us.
Our community values quality of life; the ability to play year-round with 300 hectares of park space, our beautiful waterfront, our lively downtown core and the nearby hills, wetlands and forests. We also value connections; to our neighbours and the community, to our road and rail network, and to the opportunity Barrie provides to enjoy life.
Everything Barrie has to offer, from the water we drink to the roads we travel on, has one thing in common - municipal workers. Joining a municipality is one of the most rewarding, engaging and exciting careers you could choose. It is a career you can take pride in knowing that every day you make a positive impact on an entire community. We are one team, with one goal and we all work together to continue making our community great.