This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Technical
The Technical Director is responsible for the planning, management and supervision of all stage, construction and rehearsal work associated with the construction, mounting and running of the Canadian Opera Company’s productions as well as the supervision of the technical operations of the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Management of all technical activity and expenditures
• Supervision of Production Department staff including Associate Technical Director, Assistant Technical Directors, Lighting Co-ordinator, stagehands and scene shop staff
• In conjunction with the Director of Production, working with designers, directors and Production Department staff to ensure that all productions are realized to the highest artistic standard, within the constraints of the COC’s schedules and budgets.
• In conjunction with the Production Manager, creation of technical budgets; management of these budgets including stagehands, set construction, and equipment (capitals and equipment maintenance)
• Researching and evaluating future season rental productions and co-productions.
• Leads the Production Department’s participation in the COC’s Health and Safety program
• Management of storage facilities
• Other related duties as assigned
• Post-secondary education in the technical/production field
• Minimum of five years’ technical theatre supervisory experience including experience working alongside and supervising IATSE union stagehands
• Extensive knowledge of stagecraft, theatre production and scenic construction, rigging, automation, lighting and video; knowledge of opera repertoire an asset
• Skilled in budgeting and personnel management
• Superior organization and communication skills (verbal and written)
• Ability to work independently, prioritize tasks, meet deadlines, and exercise good judgement and initiative
• Ability to manage multiple, competing priorities successfully
• Outstanding interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact with all staff in a professional, confidential and tactful manner
• Good knowledge of health and safety legislation and best practices
• Proficiency in AutoCAD, MS Office, FileMaker Pro
Evening and weekend work is required. This is a full-time permanent position.
Only applications post-marked by August 1, 2013 will be considered. The COC thanks, in advance, all applicants. Only those considered for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls or faxes please.
Manager, Human Resources
Canadian Opera Company
227 Front St. E.
Toronto, ON M5A 1E8
Based in Toronto, the Canadian Opera Company is the largest producer of opera in Canada and one of the largest in North America. The COC enjoys a loyal audience support-base and one of the highest attendance and subscription rates in North America. Under its leadership team of General Director Alexander Neef and Music Director Johannes Debus, the COC is increasingly capturing the opera world’s attention. The COC maintains its international reputation for artistic excellence and creative innovation by creating new productions within its diverse repertoire, collaborating with leading opera companies and festivals, and attracting the world’s foremost Canadian and international artists. The COC performs in its own opera house, the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts, hailed internationally as one of the finest in the world. Designed by Diamond Schmitt Architects, the Four Seasons Centre opened in 2006, and is also the performance venue for The National Ballet of Canada. For more information on the COC, visit its award-winning website, coc.ca.