This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Production
Ballet BC is looking for an experienced and well-organized professional who has a passion for the arts to join our team as the Stage Manager. Working in concert with the Artistic and Production departments, the Stage Manager provides primary production support to the organization by collaborating in executing the production plan for Ballet BC's creations and tours.
Rehearsal and Performance Duties and Responsibilities
• Learn the repertoire choreography for cueing and
• Stage Manager is responsible for running and
controlling the. The Stage Manager is in charge of
calling all the production elements and artists for
each work, ensuring show continuity and accurate
• Stage Manager in collaboration with the Technical
Director will ensure the timely execution of the
production schedule in venue, recording and
distributing changes to the schedule as needed, when
• Responsible for the creation and updating of Cue
Sheets show summary’s, and all related or required
stage management documentation for each piece and
detailing all aspects of the production of each piece
for remounting each ballet in the future.
• Preparing and distributing applicable cuing notes for
stage, fly and audio, where additional information is
• The Stage Manager will provide show and studio
reports, production timings summaries, spike charts,
and other requested documentation to the Director of
Production for archives.
• Theatre duties will include assigning dressing rooms,
setting up callboard, recording and maintaining
• Update and post daily rehearsal or stage schedules,
in co-ordination with Artistic Department and
Production while in venue and on tour.
• Maintenance of all “stage” supplies for the dancers,
security of dancers’ valuables.
• Oversee and manage props preparation and prop pre-set
on and off stage as required.
• Responsible for spiking, placement and recording the
• Company paging and cueing systems, meet the theatre
representative to learn the theatre rules and
regulations, deal with venue representative and front
of house staff regarding timings, intervals, etc.
• May be requested by the Company to make public
announcements concerning casting changes, program
changes or sponsor acknowledgement.
• Assist electricians with special focus, cueing
options, and cueing sessions, when deemed necessary
by the Company.
• Assist the Technical Director as required.
• Assist with set-up and teardown as required.
• Responsible for being at all production rehearsals
that include dancers or technical staff.
• Rehearsal studio responsibilities include but are not
limited to, management of any rehearsal props or
scenery required in the studio. Spiking and noting
location of spikes for replacement if required.
Operating audio and video systems as required.
• Studio maintenance management – maintain studio
systems or document deficiencies as needed and report
to Artistic Administrator.
• Prepare and edit audio files for rehearsal and
production, for hand off to technical team while in
the theatre, or on tour.
• As required per production identify, develop and
apply emergency protocols for on-stage and backstage
Tour Preparation Duties and Responsibilities:
• Participate in advance planning and venue research as
• Research and engage additional studio spaces while on
tour, which are required outside of performance
venues. This excludes audition studios.
• Set up and ensure studio readiness for company class
• From time to time, the Stage Manager may be asked to
manage and care for wardrobe on tour as needed.
Production Administration Duties and Responsibilities:
• Prepare and distribute production and artistic
• Collaborate with Director of Production in creation
of production schedules, ensuring contract compliance
for artistic and production staff.
• Research and acquire all commercially available CD’s
for each work.
• Update, maintain and distribute the audio and video
rehearsal and performance archive for the repertoire.
• Manage and maintain, office, studio and stage first
• Understand and advise on terms of the Dancer
contract, ensuring compliance, and record and report
approved overtime to the Company Manager and
• A Bachelors or higher degree from an accredited
university or college in a related field, or
• Five years of successful experience in Stage
Management and a team environment;
• Strong project management skills with the ability to
balance multiple projects, competing demands, and
• Excellent organizational skills
• Natural facilitator and communicator, with confidence
to communicate with a variety of people
• Strict attention to detail
• Able to collaborate, and able to take leadership
roles when needed
• Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work
independently and effectively as part of a team that
may comprise individuals with varied personalities
and working styles.
• Ability to set priorities, balance demands of
multiple tasks, and meet deadlines.
• Meticulous attention to detail, strong organizational
and analytical skills.
• Outstanding communication skills.
• Experience working in Dance is preferred but not
required, with a particular interest in the mission,
programs, and future plans of Ballet BC.
The Employee will be required to undertake such duties as may reasonably be expected within the scope of the position. All members of the Company are required to be professional, co-operative and flexible and in line with the needs of the Company, it is code of conduct, and safe work place policies.
At Ballet BC, we live and create on the unceded traditional territories of the Coast Salish peoples of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
Salary: $60,000 – $65,000, plus benefits.
Please send your CV and Letter of Intent via email to:
Attention: Director of Production
Combining classical integrity with a contemporary sensibility, Ballet BC is a creation-based company of 21 talented dancers from Canada and around the world that is committed to exploration and collaboration in contemporary dance. Solidly grounded in the rigour and artistry of classical ballet, with an emphasis on innovation and the immediacy of the 21st century, the company presents a distinct and diverse repertoire of the most sought-after Canadian and international contemporary ballet choreography.
Ballet BC presents a distinct and diverse repertoire of the most sought-after Canadian and international contemporary ballet choreography. While presenting a season of three productions in Vancouver the company continues its commitment to perform highly acclaimed productions on regional, national and international tours.