This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Production
• Supervision and coordination of crews during hang, focus, strike, and note sessions at YPT.
• Organization of material, equipment and crew requirements to facilitate the hang and focus of lighting plots.
• Operation of the lighting console (ETC Ion) for all cuing, cue to cue, technical rehearsals and performances.
• Ensuring the general order and maintenance the theatre, grid and catwalk system and all lighting equipment.
• Design of summer/rentals/house lighting plot for the Mainstage and Studio.
• Other duties as assigned by Management.
• As per the Collective Agreement with IATSE, YPT requires all stage employees to participate and/or teach through YPT’s educational programming, with respect to their specific roles.
• Graduate of a recognized theatre training program.
• Minimum 3 years experience as a Head Electrician with a producing theatre company.
• Thorough knowledge of general stage lighting and special effects, DMX512, ETC ION, Vectorworks and Lightwright with a broad understanding and experience in various theatrical practices.
• A working knowledge of best theatrical practices in electrical wiring and repair techniques.
• Ability to work evenings and weekends during tech period and show runs.
• Strong interest and belief in collaboration and communication in the work place, especially for the purpose of education.
In accordance with YPT’s policy and as a condition of employment, the successful candidate will be required to pass a satisfactory Police Vulnerable Sector Screening Check.
Young People’s Theatre is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer that strongly supports and values diversity and fosters an equitable and inclusive work environment that includes accommodation. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome, and people with disabilities and individuals from equity-seeking groups are encouraged to apply.
Salary: This is a Union position represented by the IATSE Local #58
Interested candidates should email resumes and cover letters in one file to:
Young People’s Theatre (YPT), celebrating its 52nd Anniversary Season in 2017/18, is Canada’s largest professional theatre for young audiences company. It currently produces and presents an 8-play season with an audience of approximately 80,000+. Housed in a renovated historical venue in downtown Toronto, YPT works on a 458-seat Mainstage and a 115-seat Studio, as well as operating a year-round Drama School in four locations. Its operating budget is approximately $5 million. The family-friendly employee culture at YPT (given that hours are primarily day time) encourages ingenuity, team-work, and an atmosphere of learning. YPT’s artistic policy focuses on arts and education – in fact, learning is at the centre of everything we do.
YPT is currently searching for a candidate to fill the position of Head Electrician, reporting to the Director of Production and Technical Director. This is a seasonal full-time Position starting immediately. This is a unionized position represented by the I.A.T.S.E. Local #58.