This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Technical
YPT is currently searching for a candidate to fill the position of Head Electrician. Reporting to the Director of Production and supervised by the Technical Director, the Head Electrician will work to ensure that all lighting requirements for the productions and facilities are met and maintained.
• Analysis of lighting plots and determination of associated crew requirements for YPT production and presentations, in consultation with the Technical Director
• Organization of material and equipment requirements to facilitate the hang and focus of lighting plots
• Supervision and coordination of all lighting hang, focus, strike, and note sessions at YPT
• Instruction of crew in proper work procedures and the use of safety equipment while working at height, either on ladders, personnel lifts or in the theatre catwalks
• Operation of the lighting console (ETC Ion) for all cuing, cue to cue, technical rehearsals and performances
• Responsibility for the maintenance and integrity of the lighting design after opening night until the closing performance
• Ensuring the general cleanliness and orderliness of the theatre deck, grid and catwalk system, in co ordination with the other production department heads
• Maintenance of the working order of YPT lighting equipment in both the Mainstage and Studio performance spaces
• Design of summer/rentals lighting plot for the Mainstage
• BFA Diploma or College Certificate from an accredited theatre training program
• Minimum 3 years experience as a Head Electrician
• Thorough knowledge of general stage lighting and special effects, with a broad understanding and experience in various theatrical practices
• A strong knowledge of DMX512 and the programming and cueing of the ETC Ion console, with a solid understanding of Vectorworks and Lightwright computer programs
• A good knowledge of best theatrical practices in electrical wiring and repair techniques.
Because learning is at the center of everything we do, all YPT staff members must have not only a willingness to learn, but also an interest in sharing their knowledge. In accordance with YPT’s policy of screening all adults involved in working with children, the successful applicant will be required to complete a satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Screening Check. Young People’s Theatre is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer and strongly supports and values diversity in the workplace. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome and individuals from equity-seeking groups are encouraged to apply. Interested parties should apply with cover letter and resumé, detailing all relevant experience to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications must be received by 5:00 pm, August 23, 2013
While we thank everyone who applies, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Interested parties should apply with cover letter and resumé, detailing all relevant experience to:
Young People’s Theatre (YPT), now in its 48th season, is Canada’s largest theatre for young audiences and currently produces and presents an 8-play season with an audience of up to 75,000+. Housed at a renovated, historical venue in Toronto, YPT works on a 468-seat Mainstage and a 115-seat Studio stage. Its operating budget is approximately $3.5 million. The work culture at YPT encourages ingenuity, team-work, and an atmosphere of learning. YPT’s artistic policy focuses on arts and education – in fact, learning is at the centre of everything we do.