This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Technical
Crow’s Theatre is seeking candidates for the position of Technical Director. This is a full time, continuing position in the Production Department.
The Technical Director (TD) is a member of the Production Department and reports to the Director of Production. The TD is responsible for the technical elements, schedules, and budgets of Crow’s Theatre’s productions and presentations. The TD supervises House Technicians and, in collaboration with the Director of Production, is responsible for the daily operation of the Production Department and the productions, presentations, and related activities of Crow’s Theatre.
- Reports to the Director of Production
- Other members of the Production Department
- Other Crow’s Theatre departments
- The creative and production teams of productions and presentations
- External organizations such as renters, suppliers, etc.
- Oversees completion of all technical elements of productions to Crow’s Theatre’s and designer’s satisfaction
- Manages staff in all technical areas and venues
- Oversees the work of outside contractors, shops, and suppliers
- Manages budgets for technical areas in consultation with the Director of Production
- Manages scenic bid process
- Oversees season schedule for technical areas
- Expedites productions within scheduled deadlines
- Hires crew in consultation with the Director of Production
- Communicates with designers, directors, and stage management as necessary for troubleshooting and production continuity
- Acts as a liaison with stage management for production notes, and for the smooth transition of set from shops to technical rehearsal
- Analyses and fulfills technical riders for shows presented by Crow’s Theatre
- Supervise the successful and timely load in and out of productions and presentations at Crow’s Theatre’s venues
- Creates and maintains technical documentation, CAD drawings, and other records as necessary for each production or presentation
- Ensures compliance with Occupational Health and Safety regulations within areas under the supervision of the Production Department
- Maintains a production quality of the highest standard
Organize training opportunities as determined with the Director of Production for technical staff
- Works with event coordinator to determine adequate staffing and technical needs for all events
- Assessing and determining the technical requirements for various events and performances, including technical staffing, equipment, seating and cost estimates
- Assist with the interpretation of technical riders and supports, in advance of production and/or event dates
- Consult on scheduling of all use of theatres and rehearsal studios and spaces
- Develop systems and policies to improve efficiencies and processes, as needed
- Assist with show and event production settlements in a timely manner
- Provide manager-on-duty support during festivals, events and shows, as required
- Evening and weekend work is required for this position
- Liaise and work with the Rental and Partner Companies to fulfill their technical needs
- Create and modify CAD drawings
- Analyzes scripts for all technical elements
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of Production
- May require occasional travel to supervise technical install of tours
- Minimum of eight years professional experience as a Technical Director
- Minimum of three years professional experience supervising in a venue
- Extensive knowledge of structural and mechanical construction for the stage, both materials and techniques, including welding, rigging and painting
- Knowledge of hydraulics, pneumatics, and electrical systems
- Thorough knowledge of lighting, sound, including digital audio consoles, and video
- Knowledge of QLAB
- Working knowledge of current safety standards and the implementation of same
- Product, material, pricing, and logistics research skills
- Experience fulfilling technical and touring riders and/or touring of productions
- Experience with a variety of types of live performance including theatre, dance, and music
- Ability to read and produce technical drawings and schematics, including scenic construction designs
- Knowledge and practical experience using Vectorworks and AutoCAD.
- Knowledge and practical experience using Microsoft Office
- Strong personnel, scheduling, and budgetary management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to work on multiple projects with tight deadlines and a positive attitude while working under pressure
- Strong interpersonal skills, integrity, high energy, creativity, a collaborative spirit, and the cultural sensitivity needed to work effectively in a diverse environment of artists, producers, creative, and management teams
- Experience with Dante and system networks
- Ability to take technical/production leadership of productions as needed to support Director of Production
- Collaborative and flexible working style to adapt to team/production needs
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Full-time, year-round
- Competitive salary
- Excellent benefit package
Salary: 40k - 60k CAD
To apply, please email your detailed resume and a cover letter to . Refer to “Application for Technical Director” in subject line.
The deadline to apply is June 20, 2019.
We thank all applicants, but only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Crow’s is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, creed, color, age, sex, religion or national origin.
Founded in 1983, Crow’s Theatre has been a leading force in the Canadian theatre landscape, recognized for provocative and award-winning new theatre work that has toured nationally and internationally.
In January 2017, following the completion of a $12 million capital campaign, Crow’s opened the doors to its first permanent home, Streetcar Crowsnest. As the first performing arts facility of its kind in Toronto’s East End, Streetcar Crowsnest offers a dynamic spectrum of affordable contemporary theatre, all-ages arts events, wide-ranging community programming and partnerships.
Streetcar Crowsnest houses multiple venues for programming and events: the Guloien Theatre; the Scotiabank Community Studio for performances, rehearsals and community activities; a stunning Lobby Bar; and its adjacent full-service restaurant Gare de L’est.