This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Management
Reporting to the General Manager, the role of the Production Manager is to supervise and coordinate all technical and production aspects of overall activities in the theatres (Backspace and Mainspace) and the shop. The Production Manager also acts as the Facilities Manager to oversee the building’s maintenance, security and upkeep.
Specific responsibilities include:
TPM Productions and Co-productions
• Manage production budgets
• Cost and approve designs
• Oversee full time, contract technicians and stage management including tracking overall hours and scheduling
• Plan and maintain the production schedule and scheduled activities (installs, tech, opening, closing, and strikes/ returns etc) for each show and schedule build times for shops and stage crews
• Contract in collaboration with GM and coordinate production department full-time and seasonal staff and all creative & production show-related personnel
• Work with associated companies and their production managers to develop , maintain and execute production schedules
• Hire and supply casual technicians for productions
• Work with associated company production manager to ensure schedule and production / design is safe for personnel and the venue
• Work with production, design and artistic personnel along with the producer and GM to budget, plan, advance and travel TPM touring productions either in person or remotely
Crew and staff management
• Ensure that all production personnel are well trained, versed in and compliant with current safety practices and legislation
Rentals of the facilities
• Work with Producer to authorize, clarify, and estimate costs crew and other expenses for rentals
• Schedule, crew and oversee the client, patron and building safety of rentals
• Aggregate timesheets and expenses for rentals, staff, and other expenses for invoicing
• Authorize payroll for production staff and all production-related expense reports
Overseeing building maintenance and security / Supervising upkeep of the physical plant
• Manage building maintenance contracts
• Arrange for and implement internal building or building envelope repairs
• Work with other staff to plan long term building projects
• Primary responsibility to track building condition and prioritize small, medium and large facility projects, working with the software Asset Manager
• Repair, maintain, and update theatrical infrastructure and as possible and necessary.
Other duties as may arise from time to time.
Extensive background and knowledge in all aspects of technical theatre - Proven management experience and skills - Experience with budgeting and budget management - Working knowledge of theatre and union regulations, including Health & Safety policies - Advanced computer knowledge (MS Office applications and drafting software: AutoCAD, Vector Works - IT and networking skills - Minimum 3 years’ experience in production management or a combination of experience and post-secondary education in a related field is preferred - Minimum experience in building management is an asset - Strong team player, capacity to prioritize and good multitasking skills.
Working Hours: Monday to Friday 9:00 am to 5:00pm, with some weekend, evening and on call work. Flexibility in scheduling required
Start Date: September 11, 2017
Salary: Range commensurate with experience between $42,000 and $46,000 per annum
How to apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume, with the names and phone numbers of 3 references attached as a PDF or Word document by Friday July 28th, 2017 at 5:00PM via email to General Manager, Régine Cadet: . Please use the subject line: “Application for Production Manager Position”. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
* TPM is an equal opportunity employer and encourages submissions from all cultural backgrounds. In particular we encourage people who self identify as members of underrepresented communities to apply.
Theatre Passe Muraille (TPM) is known for developing innovative and daring Canadian theatre, but we exist to support our communities. From encouraging independent and emerging artists, and multicultural work, to inspiring our staff and artists to work collaboratively, TPM works to ensure all voices are represented on our stage.
Typically TPM produces 4 shows a year and hosts rental companies and festivals throughout the year. TPM has a Mainspace which seats 185 and a Backspace that seats 55. There is also a cabaret space in the Mainspace, with a bar that has a capacity of 120, which is where TPM’s After Hour’s Events take place.