This is a Temporary, Full-time position.Category: Production
Now in it’s 15th year of business, Great Lakes Scenic Studios has grown to become a major fabricator to the theatre, display and specialty finishing industries, having
built and installed works throughout North America and internationally for a variety of clients. The Company is looking for a Head Carpenter. This is a temporary job for a minimum of 3 months, filling in a personal leave vacancy but
could easily turn into a full time position as our 0peration expands!
A Head Carpenter is responsible for the planning, supervision and control of a project build for Great Lakes Scenic Studios.
The Head Carpenter is a key member of the Project Team and reports directly to the Project Manager for each Project.
1. Oversees completion of all elements of a project build, manages builders in all areas, including wood and metal working.
2. Assists the Project Manager in costing, budgeting and scheduling the project.
3. Reports to the Project Manager on a regular basis as to the status of the project budget and schedule.
4. Expedites projects within scheduled deadlines.
5. Maintains the highest standards of production quality.
6. Performs other duties as assigned by Project Management
7. Minimum of five years professional experience as a construction supervisor
8. Thorough knowledge of structural and mechanical construction for the stage and display industries, both materials and techniques in scenic fabrication, including wood working, welding, rigging and painting.
9. Knowledge of various Computer Aided Drafting platforms.
10.High functioning ability to read and interpret AutoCad and other technical drawings.
11. Good working computer skills including Microsoft Office, email and internet research.
12. Strong personnel, scheduling and people management skills
13. Some knowledge of hydraulics, pneumatics, electrical systems
14. Strong knowledge of current health and safety standards, the implementation of same.
15. The ability to ensure that workers are safe and operating in accordance with Company policies, health and safety guidelines and regulations.
16. Solid organizational skills with the ability to work on multiple projects with tight deadlines.
17. Strong interpersonal skills, integrity, high energy, creativity, a collaborative spirit and the sensitivity needed to work effectively in a diverse environment of artists, artisans and creative teams.
18. A passion for the arts and the desire to be part of a vibrant creative company.
This is a Union Shop, operating under the jurisdiction of IATSE, the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees and therefore preference will be given to
IATSE members. The successful candidate will be required to join IATSE if not already a member.
There will be overtime involved in this job and some travel with extended work away from home (including Canada, the US and abroad) will be required to attend and supervise project installations.
A valid driver’s license and passport is required.
Terms of Employment
This is a temporary contract position with a competitive hourly rate.
We thank all applicants in advance, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Apply in confidence by September 25, 2012
Salary: by contract
Senior Project Manager
Great Lakes Scenic Studios
1095 Northside Road
Burlington, ON, L7M 1H5
no phone calls please