This is a Temporary, Full-time position.Category: Production
We are seeking a qualified Head Carpenter to lead and work in our Carpentry Shop, creating and installing sets, furniture and custom pieces for our 6 Mainstage Productions, Summer Production, and various fundraising events throughout our season. The Head Carpenter shall work under the supervision of and report to the Technical Production Manager (TPM) and the Assistant Technical Director (ATD).
- B.A. in Theatre Production – specializing in Stage Carpentry
- 5 years professional experience as a Carpenter(Construction) or Carpenter(Theatrical/Film/Dance)
- First Aid Training
- Ontario Work At Height Certification
- Joinery, Cabinetry, Furniture Building
- Working with Scale Technical Drawings provided by Set Designers
- Creative Problem Solving
- Creation of standard stage carpentry stock items, and custom pieces for each production.
- Supervision of employees, co-op students, and volunteers
- Maintaining a budget
- Adapting to a flexible schedule
- Ability to work Evenings and Weekends occasionally, in addition to a regular work week.
- Ability to operate, and familiarity with, power and hand tools, and heavy shop equipment, and air compression tools.
August 1st to May 31st
Contract – 43 weeks
Please apply via email to with the subject line, “Hey Nick, I’m a Carp!” Applicants should reply with a C.V., cover letter, and a portfolio (if available). Application deadline is July 14th 2017 Applicants will only be contacted if they are considered for an interview. Interviews will be scheduled for the week of July 17th, 2017.Interviews can be scheduled in person or through Skype/Google Hangouts. Please indicate your preferred interview format in your email response.
Magnus Theatre is the Professional Theatre of Northwestern Ontario and we strive to present the highest quality theatrical productions to our community; productions that engage and entertain. For the past 46 years, Magnus has been bringing national and international performing and technical talent to Thunder Bay to produce theatrical classics, modern award winning shows, and new Canadian and Aboriginal works.