This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Management
Province: Calgary, Alberta
Position: Director of Finance
Deadline: October 18, 2019
Posted: October 7, 2019
Job Description / Duties
The position requires an analytical, detail oriented, thinker who is accountable for all financial aspects of the organization, as well as the facilitation of the administrative and IT departments. This role also requires meticulous planning and execution of multiple projects simultaneously, exceptional management and communication skills, high level attention to detail, and the ability to work in a fast paced, team environment.
Qualifications / Required Skills
• Post-secondary degree
• Accounting designation
• At least 5 years’ relevant work experience
• Oversee all aspects of finance and accounting functions including:
o Annual operating and project budgeting
o Monthly operating forecasts
o Cash flow projections
o Monthly and year-end financial statement preparation
• Provide all required information to, and coordinate all interactions with, external auditors
• Manage the Human Resources of the Association in conjunction with the Managing Director and CEO, facilitate all payroll, including government remittances, and benefits plans
• Prepare and distribute payroll, tax forms, slips, surveys, and charitable returns
• Understand and coordinate all charitable receipting and reporting, as per CRA guidelines, in conjunction with the development department and box office.
• Administrate office functions including IT, security and telephone systems, and insurance requirements
• Adhere to and prepare all financial reporting related to current and future grant applications
• Interact with the Board of Directors and related Finance Committee
• Proficiency with SAGE accounting system, Excel and Office 365
• Knowledge of financial statement requirements for Canadian Not-For-Profit organizations
• Strong financial reporting, and budgeting skills
• Experience with charitable returns
• Willingness to work within a team environment
• Strong communication skills
• Able to manage multiple tasks
• Highly organized and detail oriented
• Ability to take on responsibilities outside of the scope of the job outlined above
Measurements of Success
• Timely completion of all deadlines related to duties listed above
• Minimize or proactively identify fluctuations in budget to actual financial reports
• Successful cultivation of company culture and satisfied employees
• Smooth execution of annual audit with minimal to no management letter points directed to the Board of Directors
• Competitive, based on qualifications and experience
• Benefits, including holiday, flexible leave days, medical insurance, opera tickets, and matched RRSP contributions
• Some nights and weekends required, especially during performances
Founded in 1972, Calgary Opera is one of Canada’s leading professional opera companies. For 48 years the not-for-profit arts company has made a name for itself nationally and internationally for its commitment to the development of Canadian talent and the creation of new opera works, including six world premieres. Through education and community outreach, Calgary Opera fosters a love of music and theatre in young people and provides opportunities for young artists to develop skills for successful professional careers in the performing arts industry.
Calgary Opera is a proud member of Opera.ca and Opera America.
Calgary Opera’s Mission:
Calgary Opera engages our entire community with innovative and inspiring operas in a multitude of forms and venues, and through educational activities and the training of young Canadian artists, while developing our people and managing our operations in a fiscally sound and efficient manner.
Calgary Opera’s Vision:
Calgary Opera aspires to be a leader in the opera field, known for its intensive collaboration with arts organizations of all sizes, a thoughtful balance of traditional classics and more alternative works, and a mix of larger-scale and smaller artistic projects. The company will rely on a network of diverse sources to recruit artistic and operational talent, with a strong commitment to develop and showcase top Canadian talent.