This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Technical
Province: Calgary, Alberta
Position: Audio Technician
Deadline: May 7, 2020
Posted: April 27, 2020
Job Description / Duties
The Theater Services Department within the Faculty of Arts is currently seeking a Full-time Regular Audio Technician.
This position reports to the Manager, Theatre Services, and will provide support to the divisions of the School of Creative and Performing Arts and many other campus and community groups who use the performance facilities. With over 200 clients served a year, the job requires attention to multiple overlapping deadlines, focusing on a September through June peak period of operation. Communication, teamwork and flexibility are essential to providing clients with professional, courteous, and effective technical support in a timely manner.
The work is often physically demanding and can involve exposure to potentially dangerous situations, including overhead stage rigging and work from ladders or powered personnel-lifts. Though based on a 35 hour work week, there is no regular schedule. Shift work, often consisting of evenings and weekends, and overtime are a consistent element.
Qualifications / Required Skills
- Undergraduate degree or diploma in technical theatre production or equivalent experience is an asset
- Considerable experience as an audio technician for theatrical sound playback, live sound reinforcement and digital audio editing
- Basic proficiency in primary theatrical disciplines - stage management, stage carpentry, and stage lighting
- Basic experience with sound equipment troubleshooting and maintenance
- Ensure the adequate and efficient operation and performance of sound systems and equipment in all UTS performance facilities
- Evaluate client audio requirements and ensure their provision, within restrictions of time, personnel and equipment, to the client's ultimate satisfaction
- In co-operation with other team members, manage the operation, maintenance, and planning of UTS recording facilities
- Ensure the accurate editing of client music and sound effect requirements with insightful and intuitive use of digital audio editing and recording equipment
- Facilitate other staff members' basic to intermediate operation of sound systems and equipment through provision of relevant documentation, instruction, and tutorial
- Perform basic sound systems and equipment maintenance and communicate the need for any major maintenance or repair to supervisor for scheduling and budget assessment
- Evaluate and specify capital equipment requirements for future upgrade or replacement of sound system components or equipment
- Act as a resource to the divisions of the School of Creative and Performing Arts, other campus groups, and the theatrical community at large for technical advice and recommendations
- Fulfill duties of stage manager or lighting operator for occasional events and other crew work as scheduling or staff availability require
- Share with other staff members the responsibility for the general upkeep and operation of the facilities
- Contribute to the maintenance of an up to date inventory of UTS equipment and supplies
Salary: Minimum $58,000 annually
The University of Calgary is Canada’s leading next-generation university – a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation’s most enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its Eyes High journey to be recognized as one of Canada’s top five research universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully integrated with the community it both serves and leads. The University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across all disciplines. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca.