This is a Permanent, Part-time position.Category: Management
Position Title: Assistant House Manager
Department: Planning and Production – Front of House Department
Reporting to:Front of House Manager, Front of House Coordinators
Direct reports:Ushers, Front of House Assistants (Volunteer)
Key Relationships: Planning and Production, Cultural Engagement, Operations, Security, Box Office, Food and Beverage Department
Type of Employment: Part Time
Summary of Function:
Coordinates and oversees Front of House services during performances and events including supervising staff, and compiling and maintaining appropriate reports. This position will have split responsibility for the outdoor Concert Stage and Harbourfront Centre’s indoor Theatres and venues.
Theatres – Harbourfront Centre, Fleck Dance Theatre, Concert Stage & Main Building Venues
• Coordinates Front of House services during performances, including such things as lobby set-up, receptions, etc.
• Ensures that all services, safety rules, regulations, and procedures are in place to provide a safe and pleasant environment for staff and visitors.
• Uses information provided by the House Manager and gathers additional current information.
• Assigns duties to ushers and assists as required.
• Works in various Harbourfront Centre theatres on 10-acre campus.
• Acts as a House Manager on duty in the absence of the Front of House Manager or Coordinator.
• Supervises staff of part-time ushers. Provides training and orientation.
• Works alongside the Head Bartender to ensure the highest level of client and customer service.
• Coordinates and supervises Volunteer Front of House Assistants assigned to a particular event.
• Has primary responsibility for providing Accessibility requirements of all guests.
• Greets patrons and visitors. Responds to complaints and inquiries giving information, explaining policies and procedures, or referring to the appropriate person for resolution.
• Completes reports for each performance with information on performances and theatre operations, incidents, audience feedback, staff performance, media attendance, etc.
• Completes staff time sheets and assists House Manager or Coordinator with other administrative duties as required, working on administrative tasks during non-show times.
• Counts, records, distributes and balances cash floats for the coat check and merchandise sales counter. Ensures that merchandise inventory information is recorded. Balances closing inventories against receipts and reports discrepancies. Completes merchandise sales report forms.
• Monitors theatre equipment and reports any maintenance requirements.
• Monitors theatre entrances and exits during inclement weather and liaises with Operations and Grounds staff to ensure accessible and safe.
• Secures the facility at the end of the shift.
• Implements safety and emergency procedures when required including fire evacuation, medical emergencies, severe weather, power outages, and threats to patron safety.
• Performs other duties of a similar nature and level.
Workplace Health and Safety
• All staff are required to take reasonable care of their own health and safety and that of other personnel (including volunteers and interns) who may be affected by their conduct.
Skills & Requirements
• Smart Serve Certification
• Emergency First Aid, CPR and AED Certification
• Job requires knowledge and skills normally acquired through high school diploma and 3+ years of experience in Front of House services.
• Job requires tact and diplomacy responding to visitor complaints.
• Job requires the knowledge of house policies, procedures and practices.
• Job requires ability to perform basic math calculations to perform cash transactions and maintain records.
• Job requires experience with routine office administrative tasks, i.e., bank deposits, timesheets, etc.
• Job requires strong supervisory and communication skills.
• Bilingual ability an asset
Salary: 15.50 per hour
Acceptable Applications must include:
• A current resume
• A cover letter
Qualified Applicants are invited to apply by: May 20, 2019
To apply: E-mail your application Quoting Job Ref. #19J025-ET to:
Front of House Manager
Harbourfront Centre is committed to building a diverse workforce and strongly encourages qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.
Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned programming in the arts, culture and recreation across a stunning 10-acre site at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront.
For more than 40 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world by curating thousands of events annually across its ten-acre site from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft & design to sailing lessons. There is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre, year-round.