What's New > BUILDING MOMENTUM - ANNUAL REPORT 2017-18
The Canada Council for the Arts is pleased to share our 2017-18 Annual Report with you. In 2017-18, with the second installment of funds received as part of the progressive doubling of our budget, our funding of the arts sector reached a total of $218.9 million.
Here is an overview of the progress we have made on our strategic investments:
- Investments in international activities doubled, meaning we achieved our goal before our 2020-21 target.
- The percentage share of funding for core grants and project grants was 57.5% and 42.5%, respectively. We aim to reach a 50/50 split by 2020-21.
- Investments supporting Indigenous artists and organizations more than doubled. Our goal is to triple this investment by 2021.
- We are slightly ahead of our cumulative target of awarding 25% of the new funds to first-time grant recipients by 2021.
- Investments in support of artists and organizations from culturally-diverse communities or operating in the Deaf and disability arts field have doubled, while our grants to artists and organizations from official-language-minority communities have increased by 50%. We are pursuing our longstanding commitment towards equity.
- The Council has invested $6 million, through 45 grants, in digital initiatives. Our target is to invest $88.5 million in these types of projects by 2020-21.
Various initiatives also contributed to increasing the prominence of the arts and helping the arts sector address societal issues. For example, the Council contributed $300,000 – alongside an additional $252,000 from Canadian Heritage – to the Cultural Human Resources Council so that it can provide more than 1,750 arts organizations with the tools they need to build and maintain respectful workplaces.
The Council’s Annual Report also documents the impact of public funding of the arts in Canada and highlights a number of particularly significant projects carried out by artists, arts organizations, and arts groups.
On behalf of the Canada Council for the Arts, we invite you to read our
Annual Report in order to better appreciate the scope of our funding to the arts in 1,909 communities across Canada.
GO TO ALL NEWS →
GO TO RECENT FORUM POSTINGS →
GO TO RESOURCE HUB →