This is a Permanent, Part-time position.Category: Production
Duties will include, but not limited to:
- Use information provided by designer to create the costume
- Research the period, style, and techniques required to achieve the designer’s concept
- Maintain the design integrity through interpretation of the sketch
- Create patterns, either by draping or flat pattern making for specific actors
- Determine the yardage for fabric and trims
- Cut all the fabric for the costume from the pattern
- Fit the costumes to the actors, correct patterns and alter costume as necessary
- Direct Stitchers, in consultation with the Head of Costumes, by preparing and assigning work and assisting in developing production schedules
Specific skills will include, but not be limited to:
- Excellent knowledge and experience in costume construction techniques (flat pattern making and draping)
- Proven knowledge and experience in both men’s and women’s tailoring techniques
- Understanding of period shape and how to adapt it to theatrical costumes
- Working knowledge of costume history, fabric types and uses
- The ability to cope with several productions simultaneously
- Proficient in hand-sewing, and the use of industrial sewing machines
- Ability to be creative and resourceful in problem solving
- Demonstrable ability to work as part of a team and under your own initiative
- Take direction and work under time constraints with minimal supervision
- Three (3) years’ experience as Cutter in a professional theatre company or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Five (5) years’ experience in costume construction
The successful applicant will possess good organizational and time management skills. He/she will also have excellent communication skills; good written and verbal communication skills in English as well as a good understanding of PC based systems and MS Office software. The candidate will have the ability to remain calm and diplomatic in stressful situations and when working with designers, directors, performers, stage managers and other personnel from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
Applicants are invited to submit their resumes to:
Ms Teddy Forsyth, Human Resources
1585 Johnston Street
Vancouver, BC V6H 3R9
We thank all who express interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Located on the scenic Granville Island in Vancouver, BC, and in its 49th season, the Arts Club Theatre Company is one of Canada’s most successful professional theatre companies. This non-profit theatre produces currently fifteen plays in three theatres: the Granville Island Stage and Revue Stage on Granville Island and the Stanley Industrial Alliance Stage; in addition we do a series of three local run out/tour productions. The fully equipped Production Facility is located on Granville Island and is operating under an IATSE Collective Agreement.
The Arts Club Theatre is currently accepting applications for the position of Cutter for the balance of the current season and for the upcoming seasons. This unionized position is part-time starting immediately and will work under the supervision of the Head of Costumes.