This is a Seasonal, Full-time position.Category: Production
Province: Calgary, Alberta
Position: Technical Director
Deadline: July 15, 2019
Posted: June 28, 2019
Job Description / Duties
Reporting to the Production & Facility Manager.
The Technical Director for the Mystery Series (TD) is responsible for overseeing all technical elements for productions produced and/or presented by the Society for Vertigo Mystery Theatre.
- Work with all technical and creative personnel to ensure that there is open communication between all departments
- Supervision of all Technical crew and technical elements for productions
- Working with the Rentals Manager Coordinating Venue maintenance and crew needs
- Adhere to all budget guidelines as determined by the Production & Facility Manager.
- Work with Designers reviewing Set, Lighting, Sound, Projection designs to insure effectiveness, efficiency, cost and safety.
- Create technical drawings for construction of sets and hard props for the carpenter
- Research, source and order the best equipment to be used to realize designs
- Build or oversee the build of any special effects and electrical devices
- Using the Vertigo Van by Picking up and arranging materials are delivered to the Carpenter in a timely manner
- Maintain detailed and up-to-date inventory lists as well as the operation and maintenance of all theatre systems and inventories
- Assisting the Production & Facility Manager with facility maintenance
Qualifications / Required Skills
- Degree in Technical Theatre with Three (3) years’ experience working in a professional theatre company Or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Have an extensive knowledge of all elements of theatre production
- Project Management experience in a supervisory role
- Technical skills in lighting, sound, Projections and special effects
- A Strong working knowledge of Vectorworks
- Experience Leading and supervising a crew
- Experience working with Designers and Directors
- A valid Driver’s License is required
- Familiarity with scenic construction techniques and cost estimation
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Maintain a high quality of workmanship, achieving the attention to detail that the Theatre requires
- Ensure the safety of the workplace by helping to establish and then adhering to all health, security and safety policies and procedures
- Adhere to all budget guidelines as determined by the Production & Facility Manager Facility Manager.
- Experience working in a Producing theatre company
- Comfortable working at heights
- Able to lift 50lbs
- Preference will be given to persons holding additional certificates for one, or all of the following; PAL, Standard First Aid, Fall Arrest, Pyrotechnics. Or willingness to obtain them
- Experience working in Excel spreadsheets using formulas
Vertigo Theatre encourages a team-oriented environment. All personnel are required to participate in a wide range of activities or take on additional responsibilities from time to time that may be outside of the Core Responsibilities & Duties for each position.
July 29 2019 – June 22 2020
44 hours per week (with evenings and weekends when required)
Deadline to submit: The position will remain open until an appropriate candidate is selected. Interviews will start July 15 2019
Please send a cover letter, resume or CV as well as three references to Michael Slemon, Production & Facility Manager, . Thank you to all applicants. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please. For more information about Vertigo Theatre please visit our website, www.vertigotheatre.com
Vertigo Theatre has entertained audiences for over 42 years. We are located at the base of the Calgary Tower, which is home to our administration and ticket offices as well as our two performance venues. We program the BD&P Mystery Theatre Series and are also home to a variety of arts organizations that rent our performance venues throughout the season. Our diverse audience includes young adults to urban professionals and seniors.