This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Technical
Canadian Stage, one of Canada’s leading professional non-profit theatres, is searching for an experienced Technical Director to join our production team. Reporting to the Director of Production, the Technical Director is responsible for the planning, management and supervision of all technical elements of Canadian Stage’s productions, presentations, and related activities.
• Management of all technical activity and expenditures
• Supervision of Production Department staff including Assistant Technical Director, Production Assistant, and stagehands
• In conjunction with the Director of Production, creates technical budgets and schedules; manages these budgets, including stagehand labour, set construction and equipment (capital and equipment maintenance)
• Works with designers, directors and Production Department staff to ensure that all productions are realized to the highest artistic standard, within the constraints of Canadian Stage’s schedules and budget
• Analyzes and fulfils technical riders for shows presented by Canadian Stage.
• Liaises and works with Rental and Partner companies to fulfill their technical needs
• Leads the Production Department’s participation in Canadian Stage’s Health and Safety program
• Creation and modification of CAD drawings
• Management of storage facilities
• Other related duties as assigned
• Post-secondary degree in the technical/production field
• Minimum five years’ experience in a variety of aspects of technical theatre
• Technical theatre supervisory experience, ideally including experience working alongside and supervising IATSE union stagehands
• Extensive knowledge of stagecraft, theatre production and scenic construction, rigging, lighting, sound and video
• Superior organization and communication skills (verbal and written)
• Excellent attention to detail, accuracy and problem-solving skills
• Ability to work independently, prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and exercise good judgment and initiative
• Ability to manage multiple, competing priorities successfully in a fast-paced work environment
• Outstanding interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact with all staff and artists in a professional, confidential and tactful manner
• Good knowledge of health and safety legislation and best practices
• Proficiency in Vectorworks, MS Office
Evening and weekend work is required for this position.
Please apply in confidence with a Letter of Interest and resume by email to Lee Milliken, Director of Production, at email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until October 15, 2016. Please note “Technical Director” as the subject line.
We thank everyone who applies, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. All applications are considered confidential.
Founded in 1987, Canadian Stage is one of the country’s leading not-for-profit contemporary theatre companies, with the 2016.17 season marking the organization’s 29th season. Led by Artistic & General Director Matthew Jocelyn and Managing Director Su Hutchinson, Canadian Stage produces and showcases innovative theatre from Canada and around the world, allowing its audience to encounter daring work guided by a strong directorial vision and a 21st-century aesthetic. The company prides itself on presenting multidisciplinary pieces and work in translation that pushes the boundaries of form and style. Canadian Stage reinforces the presence of Canadian art and artists within an international context through work that mirrors the cultural diversity of Toronto. The company stages an annual season of work at three major venues (the Bluma Appel Theatre, the Berkeley Street Theatre and the High Park Amphitheatre) and runs a series of artist development and education initiatives, as well as youth and community outreach programs. For more information, visit www.canadianstage.com.