This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Technical
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Position: Technical Director
Deadline: June 15, 2019
Posted: May 22, 2019
Job Description / Duties
Canada’s Ballet Jörgen is looking for a Technical Director. This is a full-time position starting mid July, 2019.
The Technical Director reports directly to the Production Manager and the Artistic Director and supervises the CBJ technical staff and the house crew staff. The Technical Director uses their experience to ensure the smooth and safe presentation of all events. And will travel with the tour while providing hands-on support as necessary and supervision for the technical aspects of the production.
- Provide technical expertise and consultation for all events
- Works with the Assistant Technical Director to maintain & transport of all set, props and production items.
- Responsible for all set ups including set, large props, lighting, dance floor and the strike in all venues with venue crew provided - professional and volunteers.
- Some physical work will be required, including but not limited to, heavy lifting and climbing ladders, Aerial lifts and working at heights.
- Assists with tour paperwork including venue information, technical rider information and lighting information.
- Updates paperwork for each ballet toured including notes on each venue.
- Hires part time staff for events as necessary in consultation with Production Manager.
- Work will include evenings and weekends.
Qualifications / Required Skills
- Completion of an accredited post-secondary program in technical theatre or the equivalent combination (3 years or more) of experience and education.
- Professional experience as a Technical Director or head technician
- Knowledgeable in scenic construction and fly systems & fixed grid rigging.
- Ability to read and produce technical drawings. Moderate experience in computer aided drafting, knowledgeable with AutoCAD an asset.
- Experience with QLab software.
- Must be self-motivated and possess good organizational and time management skills.
- Able to drive production vehicles – 26’ straight truck, cube, vans, etc.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Must be organized and efficient and work well under pressure.
- An ability to work independently while also being a part of a small team.
- Working knowledge of current safety standards.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
- Must have a valid passport.
- Touring experience would be an asset.
- Bilingual (French & English) both written and spoken would be an asset.
Position is full time starting mid July, 2019.
Please send resume and cover letter to:
Canada’s Ballet Jörgen will be touring "Anne of Green Gables" to western Canada and eastern Canada with dates in Ontario and the States, “Nutcracker” in Ontario and "Velveteen Rabbit" to schools in the GTA.
Salary: Salary: $1100 - $1200/week commensurate with experience
Please send resume/CV and cover letter to:
Canada’s Ballet Jörgen builds communities across Canada through the shared experience of professional ballet. Reaching many provinces with many events annually, we ensure communities large and small, urban and rural have access to a ballet experience that is recognized for its innovation, warmth and beauty. Inspiring and connecting with Canadians for over 30 years, Canada’s Ballet Jörgen makes ballet and Canadian choreography a meaningful part of Canadians’ lives through performance, education, and community engagement.