This is a Seasonal, Part-time position.Category: Technical
Province: Calgary, Alberta
Position: Studio House Technician
Deadline: April 25, 2019
Posted: March 25, 2019
Job Description / Duties
Vertigo Theatre seeks an individual for the position of Studio Technician. Reporting to the Rentals & Education Manager and the Production and Facility Manger, the Studio Technician will work with the production department to maintain the Studio Theatre and its equipment, develop and uphold safety protocols, and will be the primary onsite technical contact and show technician for Studio rental clients. The Technician will be well versed in theatrical lighting, sound, carpentry and rigging, and will have exceptional personnel and communication skills.
Potential advancement opportunities include the possibility of taking on a role advancing studio rental productions, leading technical workshops as part of Vertigo’s developing education program, as well as being trained as an alternate head technician in the Playhouse.
Qualifications / Required Skills
- Comfortable working at heights
- Comfortable using power tools
- Able to lift 50 lbs
- Ability to manage crews, lead calls, take direction and work independently
- Superior knowledge of Audio & Video equipment and software (Qlab)
- Superior programming skills on ETC lighting boards (Element)
- Knowledge of stage lighting & rigging for the theatre
- Basic scenic carpentry skills
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Self-motivated and able to inspire others
- Ability to work well with other technical staff
- Ability to work efficiently under stress and maintain a good sense of humor
- Ability to adapt to a variety of client or artist demands
- Ability to analyze technical problems and offer effective solutions
- Knowledge of Alberta Labour Code as well as familiarity with technical crew contracts would be an asset.
This is a 48-week casual contract, varying from full-time hours during rentals to weeks off when the Studio is empty. The Studio Technician will also be offered priority casual calls in the Playhouse during Studio down times.
The Studio Technician Rate is $26/hour plus 4% Vacation pay; industry standard overtime rates and break schedules apply.
Official start date: July 29, 2019 with the possibility of some individual show contracts in May and June 2019. Contract will be in effect until June 30th 2020 with the option to renew for the following season.
Salary: $26/Hr Plus Vacation pay
Interested applicants should submit a letter of interest and resume
to Michael Slemon, Production & Facility Manager at
No phone calls please; those chosen for interviews will be contacted directly.
Vertigo Theatre is a premier cultural institution in Calgary, and has entertained audiences for over 40 years with high-quality programming. It is the only theatre in North America programming a season based entirely in the mystery genre. Located at the base of the Calgary Tower, the Vertigo complex is home to our administration, ticket offices and two performance venues. We produce our own season, the BD&P Mystery Theatre Series that runs in The Playhouse, and our Studio is home to a number of smaller performing arts organizations. Our audience is diverse and includes children and young families, urban professionals and seniors. Vertigo aims to thrill, entertain and challenge by creating theatre that ignites the curiosity of our community. We are dedicated to the revitalization of the mystery theatre genre and to inspiring and mentoring the next generation of arts leaders.